The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ANZAC Mounted Division

alf mcm

I know of nothing specific to the Anzac Mounted Division but the best book on the Australian Light Horse is by Jean Bou Light Horse. The link is here http://www.awm.gov.a.../9780521197083/ It covers the period from before the Great War to the Second World War but includes the Anzac Mounted Division during the Great War. Jean Bou has written another book Australia's Palestine Campaign and the link is here http://www.bigskypub...roductview.aspx

Also read any of the New Zealand histories on the New Zealand Mounted Rifles, as the Kiwis were part of the division. Perhaps our Kiwi colleagues can recommend a book.

The Official History of Australia in the War 1914 -1918 Volume VII Sinai and Palestine.by H.S. Gullett can be read online here http://www.awm.gov.a...elID=67893 and covers the campaigns fought by the division .

Avoid The Australian Light Horse by Roland Perry. It is rubbish.

Regards

Chris

The (British) 22nd Mounted Bde was attached to the ANZAC from Feb 1916 to June 1917. It included the Staffordshire Yeomanry, East Riding Yeomanry and the Lincolnshire Yeomanry. The relevant books are

1. The Staffordshire Yeomanry (QORR) in the First and Second World Wars by Lt Commander P K Kemp (1950)

2. With the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in Egypt and Palestine by Col J W Wintringham (1979)

The East Riding Yeomanry apparently do not have a published history covering the Great War - Source: "Regiments of the British Army. Part II Cavalry and Armour" by Victor Sutcliffe

The East Riding Yeomanry apparently do not have a published history covering the Great War

I'm working on rectifying that...

Cheers,

Neil.

Some years ago I did a booklet on the Australian Light Horse which is now out of print which included a full page map of the campaign area. After going through the proofs many times I was delighted at the final product. So I open my new booklet and for the first time really examined the excellent map. I did check the instructions to the cartographer which he had followed exactly. However, when it was reprinted it was decided that it may be an idea to add one place to the map. Everyone knew the location of the place so I still wonder if we needed to actually amend the map to include Jerusalem.

I notice that the heading and some of the comments used the acronym ANZAC instead of the word Anzac.

As well as the Anzac Mounted Division there was also from mid 1917 the Australian Mounted Division which by mid 1918 included French units.