The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

General Maxwell

paul guthrie

I will make my first visit to Ypres Town Cemetery soon, have been to Reservoir several times but never this one. Is there a Maxwell there, maybe a VC? Serve also at Gallipoli? Other natables there? Thanks, leaving in a few hours.

Hello Paul,

IIRC there is a General Maxwell buried there, I visited the cemetery a few months ago and visited the grave. I can recommend to check the register at the entrance, or perhaps someone else can still give some more info before you leave?

Regards,

Jan

Paul,

Another thing. Frans Descamps, who lives near the cemetery (Haiglaan 21), can undoubtedly tell you much more, he was my guide once on this cemetery. I think he wouldn't mind to give you some more info, if you pass by some evening... I can let him know if you want (just contact me off the forum for that).

Regards,

Jan

Brig-Gen F.A.Maxwell VC is buried close to the Stone of Remembrance in the Reservoir Cemetery. He was killed commanding 27th Bde of 9th Scottish Division, but had previously had commanded a Middlesex battalion in the 18th (Eastern) Division - I am not sure that he served at Gallipoli. His wife published his letters home from the front in a volume in the 1920s.

His VC was for an action in the Boer War.

Paul you have told me about this before. Isn't Reservoir the one by the ramparts and canal? What's the other, is Ypres Town Cemetery correct? Notables there? Thanks.

Isn't Prince Maurice von Battenberg buried on the Ypres Town Cemetery?

Paul you have told me about this before. Isn't Reservoir the one by the ramparts and canal? What's the other, is Ypres Town Cemetery correct? Notables there? Thanks.

Come on Paul... wait for my talk next week! :D

Prince Maurice is indeed there, plus the Staff killed at Hooge Chateau during the Staff conference of 1st Ypres.

Yes Paul is speaking about the cemeteries of the Salient. I thought Maurice was in Zillibeke, isn't that the one known as the aristocrats cemetery? I will wait until after the talk to go to this cemetery, it's not on the tour but I think it's very close to Ariane Hotel where we are.

Brig-Gen F.A.Maxwell VC did not serve in Gallipoli according to the memoir written by his wife in 1921. From 1910 he was in India as Military Secretary to the Viceroy, untill April 1916 when he returned to England. He was sent out to France in May 1916.

Walter Kortooms

Paul.

Just to clear up.The one on the ramparts,next to the Lille Gate is "Ramparts" Cemetery, The one near the Ariane (behind the prison - wasn't it once called Ypres Prison Cemetery?) is Ypres Resevoir (people didn't like it being named after the prison!) and the other is Ypres Town cemetery.

dave.