The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

PALS BATTALIONS

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Which Battalions recruited from Redcar and Middlesbrough? I know it's the Green Howards, but I don't know which battalion was at work in Redcar.

Frank Bartholomew

There was only one battalion raised in Middlesborough - 12th Battalion (Tee-side Pioneers). No battalions were specifically raised in Redcar. The Regimental History might give you moe information.

Charles M

Just to confirm what Charles has said, only one battalion was raised in Middlesbrough as a Green Howard unit, the 12th battalion who served as the pioneers to the 40th division.

I believe the 3/5th Territorials served on coastal defence at Redcar for a while.

Guest peter johnson

According to "The Green Howards in the Great War" the 3/4th Bn was in Redcar During the spring of 1916, where it carried out duties of a training unit, but also coastal defence. The frontage alloted to it was from the Pier to Todd Point. It amalgamated with the 3/5 in September 16 to become the 4th reserve Bn. It then moved to Catterick a couple of months later where it remained until July 17 and was then transferred to Sutton, near Hull and later to Hornsea, where it was again resposable for coast defence

Dont want to hijack this thread as such,,, anyone help me with where I can get infor on the Bradford Pals?

John

John

Naval & Military Press have a book called Bradford Pals(roll of honour,ect)

About 10 pounds plus p&p

Bradford Pals

Regards Kevin

David Raw has been writing a history of the Bradford Pals for the past 15+ years - you might be able to get in touch with him via Pen & Sword who were meant to publish it in the 'Pals' series.