The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Forgotten Battle Series - Michael Gavaghan

keithfazzani

Has anyone come across this series? I bought a copy at the shop at Thiepval out of interest. It is pocket size and called Somme 1916 (hardly a "forgotten" battle), first published in 2003. I have only just had a chance to have a brief look at it but it seems to carry a wealth of information, it is pocket sized and useful for fact checking, if the facts are correct that is. It is sixth in a series of 9. The reason I ask the question is that I cannot find any previous discussion on the forum, have never heard of the publishers M&L, and googling the author and titles produces no result. A puzzle. I realise these are daft questions and someone will pop up and say "good heavens, never heard of that'"

I have Book 1 Neuve Chapelle/Aubers/Festubert,dated 1997, and Book 2, Loos, 1998, I think I bought them direct from Michael Gavaghan, not Cavanagh,when I met him in France, but wouldn't know where to find one in UK.

Peter

Having now got his name right! Thanks Peter, there are several mentions of him on the forum including this one http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78250&st=0&p=720185&hl=gavaghanentry720185 Still seems a bit of a mystery though, the books appear to be self published, but are certainly of a high quality of production.

The production may be good, but I fear the proof-reading leaves a lot to be desired. I read 'Neuve Chapelle' a couple of years ago, and found it to be full of typos and silly errors. Mind you, this is true of a lot of books nowadays, especially in the 'Battleground' series. My particular 'hate' is confusing 'west' with 'east', which sometimes causes total confusion when trying to understand an action. I suppose financial constraints prohibit the regular use of proof-readers.

Keith

Keith I think the confusing of East and West in any context would incite hate, I haven't noticed it in the battleground series, but I don't like the Gavaghan books because they are small and difficult to read I just couldn't be bothered to make the effort after a couple of pages.

Mick

I have to admit that 'Neuve Chapelle' ended up in the bin two or three times Mick, out of sheer frustration. However, I recovered it each time and persevered. I wrote to Pen and Sword about the number of typos and errors in the 'Battleground' series, and they actually employed me to proof-read an upcoming release. Mind you, a lot of the typos I had pointed out were still present in the published version (including two east/wests !!).

Keith

'....Mind you, a lot of the typos I had pointed out were still present in the published version (including two east/wests !!).'

Don't I know it!