The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Free Kindle WW1 books added

Jim Hastings

Morning All,

Just thought I'd make members aware that Kindle have added more free WW1 titles recently, including:

1914 by FM French

Three Years in France with the Guns by CA Rose

Short History of the LRB

A Soldier's Sketches Under Fire by Harold Harvey

Private Peat

A Short History of 6th Div

Story of 2/4th OBLI

5th HLI

1/8th Bn Sherwood Foresters

Doings of the 15th Inf Bde 1914-15

The Amateur Army by Patrick MacGill

Hope this helps any interested party

Best wishes

Jim

Sorry Mike, not sure on that one, but I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to modern technology, maybe another member may be able to help.

I'm more of a book man myself, but my wife bought me the Kindle (think she did not want me taking up any more shelf space with WW1 books!!!) and it has broadened the library

Hope someone can help you, be good to know

Jim

Can you print, or copy text to pc from kindle?

Just open the book on your computer from 'Kindle for PC' and highlight the area you want, and a box will pop up above the highlighted text with 'copy.' Then just paste into Word or wherever. Having pasted the text, it automatically adds the book details and location to the bottom of the paste which is useful. I have a feeling that this copy facility didn't used to be available, but as I had problems recently I had to uninstall and reinstall Kindle for PC and this feature just appeared.

Sue

Kindle is now free to download to your phone. Go to App Store on iphone or Market Place on smart phones.

• 3 months later...

One of the top 100 Free books on Kindle at the moment

World War One: History in an Hour [Kindle Edition]

Rupert Colley

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B007E3ESWC

I've no idea of the worthiness of the book (i.e what the experts might think of it). Haven't read it yet, just passing this on

Might be useful for student revision or anyone needing a quick overview or reminder of key dates and facts (?)

Caryl

Project Gutenberg is a great resource for some obscure and non-mainstream books on the Great War. I have downloaded a couple of hundred onto Kindle, some of which are dour and not particularly of interest to me, but there's some real gems out there as well. I guess you have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince.