The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

4th Yorkshire Regiment

soltown

Does any member have info on the 4th Yorkshire Regiment ie the campaigns they were involved in during the war and where they were based in this country. Were there any known gassing incidents linked with this regiment?

Anything else would be appreciated as I have reason to believe a rellie of mine Dennis Griffin may have fought with this regiment and was gassed.

Thanks

George

George

This info is from the Long, Long Trail.

1/4th Battalion

August 1914 : in Northallerton. Part of York & Durham Brigade, Northumbrian Division.

18 April 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

14 May 1915 : formation became 150th Brigade,50th Division.

16 July 1918 : reduced to cadre strength and moved to Lines of Communication. 16 August 1918 : transferred to 116th Brigade, 39th Division.

6 November 1918 : demobilised.

If you go to the site (there's a link top left of this page) you can find a link to the 50th Division and it will give you a list of all of their major engagements.

Thanks, the Northallerton bit makes the likelihood of it being my Dennis as he grew up in Middlesbrough, even higher, though I still need to confirm it.

George

George,

Re the 4th battalion and gas attacks.

One main action is mentioned in the Green Howards in the Great War.

During 2nd Ypres the battalion were in trenches astride the Menin Road at Hooge.

On Whit Monday May 24th 1915,

"A great gas attack fell upon the 4th battalion. From trench to trench we fought and thank heavans stuck to our trenches but at great cost"

On May 25th what was left of the battalion got back to rest huts where the casualties were counted amounting to,

30 Killed

70 Wounded

98 Missing and wounded.

The account then goes on to say of the wounded and missing,

"They were almost all accounted for in different hospitals either wounded or gassed"

Bob.