The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW

charlesmessenger

Would be very grateful if someone would do a look-up for me on 2lt Patrick Barrett Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He is not recorded by the CWGC and is likely to have died in the UK, that is if he did not survive the war.

Charles M

Guest Hill 60

I should have added that the only Barrett in the RWF I could find was: Adrian Hamilton Silverton Barrett, 2nd Lt (TP), attached 14th Bn, kia 10/7/16.

Lee

Many thanks. I have in the meantime done a PRO search and located a personal file for a Barrett P. I will check this out next time I am there.

I think that he was probably invalided out of the Army, since he was badly wounded as a Sgt serving with 2 RWF in Nov 1914 and, although passed fit for service a year later, became ill again. This was probably largely because the circumstances in which he obtained his commission became the subject of a scandal in high places. It was not his fault - he unwittingly found himself taken on as a toy boy by the Duchess of Westminster's mother. The full story will come out in the book that I am currently writing.

Charles

Guest Hill 60
- he unwittingly found himself taken on as a toy boy by the Duchess of Westminster's mother.

Sounds like a right lad :D.

Glad to be of some sort of help.