The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dearest Florence

Guest Graham

I have been away from the GWF for some time and this is my first posting in this area so I hope I have not made a mistake.

'Dearest Florence' is historical fiction based around the life of the real Private Joseph Batemen of the South Staffordshire Regiment and who regularly appeared on the GWF a few years ago when I campaigned for his name to be added to my local war memorial. He was SAD on 03.12.1917. I have posted a large part of the book on authonomy.com and would invite members to have a look at what I have written and perhaps 'back ' it on their site. Comments about the book are welcomed as well as suggestions how I might move towards getting it to the attention of other publishers. It is quite lengthy - over 350,000 words!

I know not everyone is comfortable with the SAD debate but for me Joseph was a victim of the War and I have tried to portray an ordinary man from the Black Country and his young wife Florence who were swept along by the horror of the War. Let me know what you think.

Best wishes

Graham

• 1 month later...

Hi Graham - apologies have not read any of book yet as only spotted this today. Could you explain any more about the Black Country angle you mention? Am interested as I have a factual book based on a relative from that area.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Joseph Bateman was born Joseph Cartwright in Lye but adopted by Joseph and Rosannah Bateman also from Lye.

He married Florence May Rudge from Amblecote in 1913 and enlisted into 2/5th South Staffs on his first wedding anniversary but then proceeded to go absent without leave on numerous occasions. Transferred to 2nd South Staffs and France he absconded once too often and faced a Court Martial that sentenced him to Death.

I came across him whilst researching the men on the memorials in Dudley and have spent years tracing his history. His Court Martial papers give no reason for his absences - they started within weeks of enlistment and long before he was in any form of danger. I am very much of the opinion that many of the SAD men were also victims of the War and so campaigned for his name to be added to the Wordsley memorial which Dudley Council eventually did.

My book is my tribute to Joseph, his family and also the other men listed on the Wordsley and Amblecote memorials and is based on historical facts interwined with my imagination.

I have written a number of articles outlining Joseph's story that have been published in the Black Country Bugle and can be viewed on their website.

Please have a look on authonomy and let me know what you think.

Best wishes Graham