The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

pte winter 3318

hi would like some information on 5th battalion lincolnshire regiment photos i do not have and would like to see what they were like my great grandfather was killed on the western front 1917

Elisha:

Welcome to The Forum!

I found this from the CWGC:

gordon

Casualty Details

Name: WINTER, ARTHUR

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/09/1915

Service No: 3118

Additional information: Husband of Annie Winter, of 66, Manley St., Frodingham, Scunthorpe, Lincs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 21

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Hello Elisha

There was a series of articles which ran in the Western Front Association Journal ("Stand To!") several years ago entitled "In the Trenches with the Lincolns" (or something similar by Ken Holmes). I seem to recall that most centred on the 1/4th Bn. but I'll check for you. Alternatively, I would recommend writing to the Museum of Lincolnshire Life who should be able to help.

SDGW states that he enlisted at Scunthorpe and was killed in action on 7 September 1915. Incidentally, the 1/5th Bn. were part of 138 Brigade, 46th (North Midland) Division.

Kind rgds

Ed

Elisha,

Steve Bramley who is a member of this forum is researching the 5th Lincs, and might be a good person to contact concerning your great grandfather.

During the period that Arthur was KIA the battalion were holding positions in the Ypres Salient, primarily in the Tor Top/Sanutuary Wood/Mount Sorel areas.

Many of the men who fell during the Lincolns' time in this area were buried in the Sanctuary Wood area, only to have their graves lost in subsequent fighting in june 1916.

Jim