The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Alfred Merry AOC-which division?

rsstevens

Hi Everyone,

I am researching my great-grandfather, who was Pte Alfred William Merry, AOC, S/7768. I am trying to find out which battles he would have been involved in. He had the Victory, British and 1914-1915 Star medals and a note which contains the letters SWB on the top of his medal index card online, presumably refers to the Silver War Badge, as he was discharged for medical reasons on 4th December 1917.

The index card says that the first theatre of war he entered was France on 12th December 1914. Here lies my problem as, although I have looked at the list of embarkation dates on the Long Long Trail website, I cannot find which one he would have gone out with. The only one that disembarked in France in December 1914 was the 27th Division but that apparently disembarked at Le Havre 20th-23rd December 1914 (too late for him)and as far as I know he did not go to Salonika, as I know the 27th did later on. Could it be the 8th Division, or was it just that he was sent out as reinforcements for another Division which went out earlier? He was from Nottinghamshire close to the border with Derbyshire, but I don't know if this helps.

I have yet to go to Kew to look at the actual Medal Rolls, which might tell me the Unit he was attached to, but I understand the Unit is often not given for members of the AOC. If this is the case, will this be as far as I can go in my pursual of this?

Thanks for reading.....