The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Somme: The Day-by-day Account By Chris McCarthy

neutrino

Not long, Neutrino. He's in my database.

The Western Mail (7.12.16) incidentally says he was the only son of Mr and Mrs J. Thomas, "Penmark", Mary Street, Llandaff North and the grandson of the late Mr. John Thomas, Tynyparc, Whitchurch.

The SWDN (6.12.16) says he worked for Mr. Selway, Old Church Road, Whitchurch before joining Tresider's in Llandaff.

You are probably aware of this, but - as watching any rugby match between Llandaff and Llandaff North will certainly confirm - they are two close but different places.

Where was your other man from? Was he killed?

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn,

Trevor Thomas was my Grandmother's brother.

My father was named after him.

I didn't know any of the info you have posted as recently I've been too busy to go to the family history section to check on the newspapers you noted.

I hope to get there next week to get copies of the photos.

The other relative I'm looking for details of is Frederic Edward Giddy service number of 320879 who is my Great Grand aunt's son, or something like that.

He is on the war memorial in Porthcawl and died in Egypt whilst in the Welsh Regiment.

On the off chance do you have anything on William Charles Hutchinson, born Glamorgan 1892.

I understand this sort of thread should be in the Look Up section but I'm worried if it continued over there I might miss a reply or something. I did start a 'How to' thread in the look Up section and got some good info from that.

Neutrino

Sorry but I don't have anything on either Frederic Giddy or William Hutchinson.

If you can't find the newspaper items in Bridgend, Cardiff library has both the Western Mail and the SWDN.

Gwyn

Gwyn, thanks for looking.

I went into Bridgend Family History library this morning and found the photo and short description of Trevor Thomas death.

It was on microfiche so the photo is unclear.

They don't have the SWDN archives there so next time I'm in Cardiff I'll have a look.

While in Bridgend I was looking up William Hutchinson in the 1911 census and couldn't find anything, or anything on his brother or sister. I looked and looked as I have previously.

The guy in charge looked as well. Nothing.

I went back to my computer and was looking elsewhere and then the guy in charge came into the room and said a woman overhearing what I was saying had a look herself and came up with the three I was looking for.

The name had been mis spelled with an 'a' instead of a 'u'.

Seems, the same as this forum, there are helpful people everywhere in Family History.