The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

TF Re-Numbering for RA

Terry

The Nov.,1995 issue of The Medal News had an article by Paul Laycock on the re-numbering of the Territorial Force artillery units in 1917. Enclosed is a partial listing of numbers and units, as follows:

300001 - 388000 Royal Garrison Artillery (TF) ACI2198 (Appendix 184)

600001 - 628000 Royal Horse Artillery (TF) ACI2198 (Appendix 183)

630001 - 700000 Royal Field Artillery (TF) ACI2198 (Appendix 183)

875001 - 975000 Royal Field Artillery (TF) ACI2198 (Appendix 183)

Each grouping is subdivided (eg. 620001-622000 Somerset RHA).

I have recently acquired a trio to a fellow who when the renumbering took place became number 805181; in other words his number falls between the cracks in the lists recorded above. Is there any way of tracking down just what unit had the 805000 block allocated to it?

I understand that artillery renumbering became a bit of a nightmare but one lives in hope.

Cheers from Canada

Terry

Ian,

Having taken a quick peak at the RFA section on The Long, Long Trail, I see that the 2nd Bde N.Midlands Div. ended up with (if I am reading it correctly) the 59th Division, a second line TF formation which didn't reach France until Feb.,1917. However, the division did provide troops for the First Line 46th Division, which had been in France since Feb.,1915.

My fellow's original number was quite low (2310). How much of a leap of logic would it be for me to assume he was a N.Midlands TF man who went as a reinforcement to the 46th Division? I think the medal rolls for corps don't give specific units, so I was just engaging in some wishful thinking.

Terry wrote:

I have recently acquired a trio to a fellow who when the renumbering took place became number 805181

Terry: As Ian indicates that number falls within the range of the 2nd North Midland Brigade, RFA TF. Two brigades were formed with men from that Brigade:

231 Brigade, RFA went overseas with 46th Division in March 1915

296 Brigade, RFA went overseas with 59th Division in 1917.

Send me the name of your man and I will see if I can tell you in which brigade he served.

Regards. Dick Flory

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Terry,

I was quoting from my list of TF numbers. You are right in your assumption that RFA units are not shown on rolls with the exception of the 1914 Star. It will be interesting to see what Dick comes up with.

Ian :)

I am a new member and have been very impressed by the topic of RA renumbering. I have been trying to locate the unit my grandfather served in without success. His name was Claude Hodgkins No 99633 Royal Field Artillery. I have learnt from the Medal Roll that he first served in the Egypt Theatre of War and his date of entry therein was 17/7/1915. He grew up in Church Gresley, Staffordshire. Is it possible from this information to determine to which Unit/Battery he was attached?

Similarly my other grandad was Percival Lenton no M2/081007 ASC. His first Theatre of War was France and his date of entry 22/7/15. Could he be traced from this information.

Neither was in the relatively recently released records at the PRO.

A great site and I hope to contribute in due course.

Terry: I had a nominal roll for one of the batteries in 231 Brigade and a unit history for one of the other batteries in that brigade but unfortunately Dvr. Fernie's name does not appear in either. I will keep looking. Regards. Dick Flory