The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regimental Number

Fred W

My uncle John Davies enlisted in the Scots Guards in Sept 1914. His service Number was 9865. He later transferred to the Machine Gun Guards and his number was 799. In Oct 1918 he was transferred to the Labour Corps at this time his number was 662408. His MIC has this number, but handwritten across the top is the inscription xx s Guards 9865 Pte.

My question is what number would have been on his medals? Can anyone help please?

Fred

Fred

I have a guy very similar who started off as Black Watch and finished Army Gymnastic Corps - all his medals were made out to the Black Watch. The same to some guys who ended up in the Labour Corps.

Unfortunately - here's the sting - I have seen a star with one unit and number and the War & Victory to his later unit. It appears to be a bit of a lottery but the best bet would be his first number.

Not a lot of help I grant you but its the way I would go

Regards

(ps good first name)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Medals for ORs are usually inscribed with the service details of the unit you were serving with when you first entered a theatre of war.

If the Scots Guard details are the first entry on the card in the officially box, then the medals would be inscribed as such. If however these details are not in the box at all, but at the top of the card above the box it sounds as if he was home service with them, transferred and then served overseas with the Machine Gun Guards first. If so he was entitled to a pair only. His transfer to the Labour Corps would have been the result of being medically downgraded due to being wounded or gassed. possibly he served with a POW Company (?).

Interestingly I could not find his MIC on-line.

Ian

Ian,

He served in France 27 12 14 to 6.10 15

then 26.9 16 to 27. 12 .16

Transferred to Machine Gun Guards Bn 1.2.17

Served in France 17.3.17 to 1.5.18 sometime during which he transferred to Machine Gun Guards Regiment.

Ithink he transferred to the Labour Corps about 9.10.18.

He was discharged 27 2 19.

You will find his MIC under 662405 Labour Corps

Fred