The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Prussian Guards

Jamie1906

My dad tells a story that my Grandfather had his jaw broken in hand to hand fighting by a Prussian Guard.

Obviously i don't know if this story is true.

I have no knowledge of the German Army structure. Is there such a regiment? And in what quantity (number of battalions etc) would they be found in during the war.

I attempted to find an Order of Battle for the German Army with little sucess on the net.

Thanks

Jamie

The German order-of-battle differs quite much from British and French (on my opinion) and I`m having trouble understanding the whole system myself :blink:

I`m sure u get help from here... but do u know anything on ur granfather`s army service? That might even help a bit. There ARE Guard-regiments in German Army, some from Prussia...

My grandfathers service is a little difficult to pin down, what i do know is the following:-

enlisted on 13 Aug 1914 into the 10th HLI

served with the 10th HLI during the Battle of Loos

amalgamated with the 11th HLI to form 10/11th HLI in May 1916

then according to the medal rolls also served with:-

the 15th HLI

back to the 10/11th HLI

to the 14th HLI

i have no idea when or why he served with the above Bn's, i suspect that he was either wounded or transfered to the other battalions to make up the numbers.

then transfered to the 1/4 KOSB in June 1918 and demobed in Jan 1919

I hasten to say that his service records don't exist

Hello,

There were quite a few Prussian Guard Regiments and Divisions (not to mention Prussian Grenadier Regiments, often also considered Guard).

Personally, I would not believe this story immediately. Real hand to hand fighting was very rare and to get your jaw broken and not being captured in the same action looks even more suspicious to me. However, everything's possible of course...

Jan

Reference to early war encounter with 'Prussian Guard' below.

Just quoting a contemporary newspaper account - quite possible it was not the Prussian Guard at all! But hope this is of some interest.

12 months ago was fought ther action of Klein Zillebake, in which the 1st Btn irish Guards played a noble part and also the 2nd Btn Royal Sussex Regt., a corps well known in Belfast.

The Irish Guards were in the brigade commnaded by the Earl of Cavan and fought most valiantly ubthe throwing back of the German multitudes that burst upon the slender line guarding that particular way to Calais.

In the supporting movements, the 1st and 2nd Life Guards and the Royal Horse Guards fought splendidly and delivered several charges with the nayonet on foot.

The following day the attacks were renewed and again repulsed.

Amongst those who fell on 6th November was Captain the Hon. A. E. O'Neill MP, 2nd Life Guards, who was shot whilst leading a bayonet charge.

Captain O'Neill was the first of our legislators to fall in action. It is on record that the bayonet charge which he so gallantly led saved in all probability a serious defeat to our arms.

The Life Guards shorn of all their glory of uniform, dismounted and mud-stained and battered, charged home with the bayonet and saved the position when the PRUSSIAN GUARDS had almost won through in their attempt to reach Calais at any cost.

Ballymena Observer, November 12 1915

The "Prussian Guards" (as already said, this could refer to several units) were considered even at the outbreak of war to be the toughest, most elite and most feared of German units. Therefore there was a natural inclination both among soldiers and the popular press to cast the enemy in any particular engagement as belonging to the Prussian Guard.

Even some veterans refer to fighting the Prussian Guard in engagements where this couldn't be possible, sometimes this belief is a rational one -based on the fact that the Germans were wearing "litzen", a type of collar and cuff lace worn by senior regiments in the German Army- or sometimes just because the Germans were large, sturdy men or unusually tough.

From a propaganda point of view, if you've just given the enemy a good kicking it's always good PR to suggest that you've beaten the best they had to offer.

All the best

Paul.