The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"The Western Front 1914-18" by John Terraine

Jim Hastings

Good morning all,

I'm thinking of getting this title to go along with Malcolm Brown's "IWM Book of the Western Front" and wondered if any members of the Forum had read it and their opinions on it? I believe it is a series of essays on various topics with a broad rather than focused approach, is that right?

Value your thoughts

Thank you

Jim

Well worth getting, partly for its historiographical value, It was written in 1964, and demonstrates the clarity and consistency of Terraine's views on the conflict.

Phil (PJA)

Jim

Yes, they are a collection of excellent essays covering British strategy, genesis of the Western Front, a couple of essays on Lloyd George, Battle of Guise, Passchendaele and Amiens, Haig, Plumer, and the influence of Napoleon on French strategy.

Charles M

Phil and Charles,

Thank you very much for your comments and I think I will add this title to my WW1 library.

Appreciate your time gents

Jim

Jim, fully agree with what Phil and Charles have said. Ive only read it recently, but it seemed to make more sense of everything that I have previously read, i.e. dates, battles etc etc. Easy style of writing, and nothing too technical. Will definately be adding a few more 'Terraines' to my library. Regards Sean

Thank you Sean,

I think I will be too, I only have "To Win A War" so far and must admit I have only dipped into it for academic purposes up to now.

All the best

Jim

The essay on General Lanrezac and the Battle of Guise is a model of clarity.

I have quite a few of JT's books and admire him greatly.

Currently reading his 'The Road to Passchendaele' as an antidote to my starting to read Wolff's 'In Flanders Fields'. Don't claim to be an expert but the intro and the first few pages of IFF raised my hackles so off the shelf came JT. I'll return to Wolff and IFF later...

Bernard

Thanks guys. I have just ordered a copy of The Western Front 1914-18 based on your recommendations. Terraine was a great historian.

Regards

Chris

Currently reading his 'The Road to Passchendaele' as an antidote to my starting to read Wolff's 'In Flanders Fields'. Bernard

IFF might be anathema to the Terraine school, but I feel that - given the prevailing sentiment and standards of scholarship at that time - Wolff's account was pretty decent, and very readable, too...as one might expect from a journalist.

I would certainly opt for an endorsement of the Terraine assessment, but I liked reading IFF and rate it as one of the better alternatives.

Phil (PJA)