The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Let there be light - please

centurion

Yes and I do know about ensuring that the speed camera bit is disabled.

And to keep French plod happy have a few bits of offical looking paperwork to show if required , my only issue with driving in France in the rural area i live is the Priority to the right ,which can be a nightmare ,oh and dotty old French people who should have given up driveing 20 years ago , oh and huge John Deer tractors belting along driven by 12 year olds sitting on a dozen cushions ,think thats about it ?

Good luck on your trip, don't forget that you'll need the breathalyser kit too!

Given the fact that during the 4 weeks I was in France none of the major supermarkets in Arras had any of these and were not expecting any until the end of August, I think the only people driving around with them are British! :whistle:

Jim

Its amazing I did say I have driven in France between 1982 and 1999 and yet I'm still showered with elementary advice as if I'd never been to France. I mustn't be churlish but:

I know all about the paperwork and have everything in a nice folder (including insurance and breakdown cover)

I have as I said in the OP already got my breathalizers

The yellow jackets are in the car (as I also said)

I have warning triangles (also mentioned)

And a first aid kit

And a spare bulb kit

The speed trap facility is switched off on the Sat Nav

I have back up maps

I do know how the priority works and which side of the road to drive on

I am aware of average speed checks on the motorways

I've got my Euros (and they ain't Greek, Italian or Spanish)

I've cracked the beam diverter issue which is what I was actually asking for advice on

And to be complete the animals are booked into a combined cattery/doggery (and the vaccinations are up to date)

I'll try not to mention Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt, Sluys, Auray, Blenheim, Minden The Saintes, Talavera, Alexandria (I & II), Acre, Trafalgar, Busaco, Albuera, Roliça, Torres Vedra, Salamanca, the Pyrenees, Waterloo or any of the others whilst I'm there (I've managed to do that all the other times I've been over although sometimes I've had a little smile on my face).

So thank you one and all, apart from some map references (which I'll post separately about) I guess the countdown has started.

Don't speak to strange adults and make sure you write your name in your underpants also......

Its amazing I did say I have driven in France between 1982 and 1999 and yet I'm still showered with elementary advice as if I'd never been to France. I mustn't be churlish but:

So thank you one and all, apart from some map references (which I'll post separately about) I guess the countdown has started.

:) :)

We are all envious! Are the moggies prowling round the suitcase and backpack, making sure you feel guilty?

Take care

cheers

Shirley

Also Centurion, don't forget about the new traffic regulations in the Departement de la Somme. UK registered vehicles can now drive on the left-hand side of the road. This is always a source of good-natured humour on the part of the local French, so when they see you driving on the left-hand side towards them they will pretend to be all scared and angry etc and veer off into a pole or something... but really this is just some gentle ribbing of the British way.......... A friendly wave is all that's required from you.

You may want to speak to your insurance company, headlight deflectors are a major alteration to your vehicle which would possibly fail if subjected to an MOT test in the UK. If your car cannot pass the requirements of an MOT in the UK then you are driving unlawfully at home of in the rest of europe. If you are involved in an accident in the UK or abroad, especially if there is doubt about visibility your insurance would be void and you may even be suject to criminal prosecution.

Off to La Belle France on Monday to poke around the Somme. Now although I've been in France on business (when I flew) more recently I haven't been there in my car since 1999! I've got almost all the gear ready (1st Aid kit, florescent jacket, warning triangle, spare bulbs, breathalysers etc) insurance and breakdown cover as well. However since my first foray by car to France (in 1982) until 1999 I've always had to add beam deflectors to my headlights (if only out of common courtesy to other motorists) and there was an indication on the head light glass as to where to stick them. My current car (a Fiat Punto Grande) has no such marks. My nearest Halfords is 25 miles away and I don't want to do a 50 mile round tip for nothing. Useful and relevant advice will be most welcome.

I went France and Belgium last week and had exactly the same problem with my brand new VW Golf. The solution for me was to buy the headlight protectors already mentioned above (like glasses for cars!) which had the markings for stickers moulded into them. These were expensive though, about £50 but came with the stickers already cut to shape (but not applied). Research indicated that applying stickers directly to the headlight glass is not a good thing to do and may result in damage to said glass. So I bit the bullet and bought the protectors.

I am still amazed at the extortionate cost of these though and think that in the 21st century they should be able to come up with a more practical and cheap solution.

Given the fact that during the 4 weeks I was in France none of the major supermarkets in Arras had any of these and were not expecting any until the end of August, I think the only people driving around with them are British! :whistle:

Jim

There is currently a good diplomatic row going on about these things.

Apparently, the French will only accept as valid breathalysers which have a French quality sticker, not the EU quality sticker (and those with a French will have the EU). Governments are pointing out that this means they have to be bought in France, and thus, anyone going over the border - think millions - are illegal unless they can buy them at the non-existent now, frontiers.

I look forward to the result.

Phoned the Fiat dealer - they don't sell clip on plastic adaptors - indeed there is no longer anywhere to clip them on.

Yes, on reflection, I must be thinking of the previous model Punto. Glad you are sorted and legal.

Centurion,

May I suggest saveing a couple of bob and do as jules suggested in post 6 but use PVC insulation tape that and a pair of scissors. Works for me.

John

I use 50mm wide duct tape, works every time............................

I don't have beam deflectors. I drive on dipped headlights and have never been flashed by an oncoming driver in over 15 years of driving in France. I have never been stopped and even if I was, I doubt very much whether the average French or Belgian police officer knows the first thing about manufacturers' codes on headlights and which codes refer to UK or mainland Europe headlights.

But I do have a breath test kit.

:whistle:

I don't have beam deflectors. I drive on dipped headlights and have never been flashed by an oncoming driver in over 15 years of driving in France. I have never been stopped and even if I was, I doubt very much whether the average French or Belgian police officer knows the first thing about manufacturers' codes on headlights and which codes refer to UK or mainland Europe headlights.

But I do have a breath test kit.

:whistle:

I follow Ken's practice and have never had a problem.When we first went to France over thirty years ago,I used to use black insulation tape, hurriedly applied at the ferry port.Then I dropped the practice,,,,the French police have more to do than harass the tourist.Usually they can be found parked up on a roundabout with their vehicle concealed to oncoming motorists until the motorist is on the roundabout.I would think looking out for the usual suspects.Once went to the Dorgogne,never saw a policeman outside the ferryports on routes until on the return journey, we came across a roundabout south of Calais with four policemen stationed there, tooled up and at the ready.

Never been flashed apart from those French motorists who warn others about the presence of a radar speed device up front.However, in the early days was flashed because my vehicle, unlike the French vehicles of the that era, did not have yellow headlamps......even though the French government had exempted foreign vehicles... I.remember that BL at the time had yellow headlight bulbs available as an option.

Why don't continental drivers have to use headlight converters when driving in the UK ?

Because their lights dip straight down and not to one side so they don't bother oncoming drivers. I just wind mine down if I go to the UK.

BTW in spite of much misinformation in the media (what! never! surely not!) French law only requires one hivi vest and one breathalyser. There will be no fines for a lack of breathalyser until November so buy one in France and save loadsamoney as they're only about 1 euro each whereas my mate told me he paid over a fiver for 2 in Halfords.

Back from France safely. Didn't need the deflectors after all but as I happened to have to talk to my insurance company on an entirely different matter did ask about them. Advice as follows

Not having them fitted in circumstances when they would be legally required (ie driving a British car in France after dark) can invalidate ones insurance and any talk about having them a] causing damage to lenses and b] invalidating insurance falls into "a man in the pub said" category of advice. Such deflectors have to be purpose designed and properly fitted and black tape doesn't cut it. The French police probably won't stop you to check but if you are in an accident and/or involved in a motoring offence after dark they will cheerfully add their non existence to the charge sheet and subsequent fine.