The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pvt Hayes & L/Cpl Bates, Beds Regmnt

steve fuller

Will & John; looking into some of the H&R / LB boys as we speak; do you want the snippets I get for your 'databases'?

Anything you come across on the H&R boys would be gratefully received :D

Me too please, thanks.

No probs chaps.

John; (not a memorial thing Will!) I know Joseph Hack (a H&R man - above Herbert Kendall on the LBO Roll of Honour) survived. He was Herbert Kendalls wifes Brother or something; I am expecting a call tonight to give details. Family ended up in Woburn Sands Im told, ran Weathercock In for ages apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

To assist with your labours I can say that, as regards the Bates brothers:

George Bates 1371 later 30447 L/Cpl died of wounds on 16th or 18th June 1918, depending upon which source you trust, and was aged 24.

Robert Belgrove Bates 1345 later 30433 L/Cpl was commended for his good work in the assault on the Hohenzollern Redoubt in February 1916, is shown as living at Great Mill, H & R in 1918 and was born in early 1890.

Thomas James Bates 30448 (early number unknown*) later 268731 12th Liverpools died 17.12.17 or 21.1.18 or 21.10.18 depending upon source etc, aged 22. * Likely to be 1370 for obvious reasons - I could check against the number index that I hold but it's on another computer whose data can't be transferred !!

A number of the 2/1 Beds Yeomanry transferred to the Liverpool Rgt in 1917. A good dozen or so lost their lives with the Liverpools at Cambrai in November 1917 and I suspect that 17.12.17 is the correct date.

Any information on the Bates brothers additional to the above would be welcomed very much.

All the best.

Hi Bedsyeo!

I see youve got the Bates boys info then!!! B) . Well, thats 3 off the list to explore then, as someones already 'honoured them'. Excellent!

Have you seen the LBO Roll of Honour Sept 1914 (courtesy of Raster Scanning)? If not, worth a look! Have it available on jpeg if you need it mate?

Steve