The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

john william and sam jones of the M.G.C

paul leighton

Both served in the war and my grand father would like to know any details about his father and uncle sam,one died of gas poisoning after the war ,but he's sure they were mentioned in dispatches. both served in the same unit and he still has the original group photo with all the rest of the battalion in the background and themproudly showing there 4 vickers. all help would be welcome, kind regards paul

Paul,

A quick check of MIC online show that there were 1382 Jones' in the MGC. However, don't worry, if you type in John W Jones, there are only 9, if you type in Samuel Jones there are only 12.

Ian is right, if you knew their army number (often found on their medals if you have them) they would be easier to track down. Also see if they were in another regiment before transferring to the MGC - many of the 9 and 12 above record that.

Is there a chance you could post the photograph of the whole "battalion" (though with only 4 guns it sounds like a smaller unit). There were some 170,000 men in the MGC and it is of interest to many MGC "scholars" to try to identify which specific units of the MGC they belonged too. If we're really lucky, your photograph might identify the unit. Look on the mother site to see how the MGC was organised etc.

Julian

sorry,no but ,i'm sure that the brothers were both from Hulme,Manchester thats about all i know on them.and there addresses kind regards paul

yes i have the photo and am sorting it out this afternoon,I don't have any medals kind regards paul

i have tried to download the pictures from my computer but this isn't working i don't know what i'm doing wrong but it's doing my head in. i tried to add it as an attachment and that's not working either, i keep getting an 'uploading error' message. could you please add an e-mail address then i could add it as aan attachment? kind regards. paul

trying pic 2 thank god for that sorry for the delay,heres the picture ,hope it helps

post-1-1093005639.jpg