The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trench Map

philary

Hello everyone

I have been lucky enough to find out (thanks to this forum and website and visits to PRO) exactly where my Great Uncle was wounded on 8th April 1918. He was on attachment to 165 Brigade, RFA, 31st Division. The Brigade was positioned in the Douchy valley and was being heavily shelled at this time. The war diary for the Brigade says " hostile artillery active, harassing area ADINFER WOOD, DOUCHY, DOUCHY VALLEY and AYETTE, during the night and day."

I wonder if any one has a map or knows the reference number to obtain the map that shows the position of this Brigade at this time. I am going to the area in October and want to take a photographic trail of 2nd Lieutenant Spencer's last days. I am unable to get to the PRO again before I go. Thank you.

Hilary

Hilary.

3 maps that may be of interest...

1/ - extract from British trench map dated 1917 (51bSW)... (wrong year, but showing positions of trenches around these two villages at this time).

post-2-1093042413.jpg

2/ Extract from German trenchmap , dated March 9th 1918, showing British defences in the area you mention....

post-2-1093042557.jpg

3/ Map extract from the Official History showing front line and units involved in the area on the 5th April 1918...

Hope you find these of some use,

Dave.

post-2-1093042751.jpg

Dear Dave

Thank you so much for all the maps, it has certainly helped.

Just 2 questions:

The numbers on Map 3 do they refer to divisions or brigades or both?

The Official History is that in book form and is there a reference copy at the PRO?

Once again, many many thanks.

Hilary

Dear Dave

Thank you so much for all the maps, it has certainly helped.

Just 2 questions:

The numbers on Map 3 do they refer to divisions or brigades or both?

The Official History is that in book form and is there a reference copy at the PRO?

Once again, many many thanks.

Hilary

Hilary.

(Not including the Battalion numbers of the mentioned regiments),The numbers closest to the frontline (on the westernside of it) are brigade numbers, and the larger numbers are the divisions.

On eastern side, these are the German units.

The OH is in book form and, I'd guess that there would be a copy at the PRO (I wouldn't know though - I've never been!). There are copies in several libraries, (one of my local ones has the full set), regimental archives, etc. etc. It's also available in re-print form from the N&MP.

Dave.

Dear Dave

Once again thank you for your help. I shall spend time at my local library, Bristol, to see what it has. I can look up the catalogue online to see if there is a copy. As I thought Adinfer Wood seems to be the place.

Hilary