The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Honours and Awards,Army Navy and Air Force 1914-1920

Khaki

I have the above book by J.B.Hayward & son (1979) a marvelous compilation of recipients of Orders, medals including VC, DSO, MC, DCM Royal Red cross foreign orders etc probably close to 900 pages of small print. I have had this book since it was published, but I have never seen another one for sale. I am not concerned what it is worth, I am just curious, is it a hard to find publication? I would have thought with the huge amount of information in it, it would have been well known to medal collectors and historians.

What's your thoughts?

khaki

The book is actually a reprint of the supplement to the January 1920 Monthly Army List.

Thanks Guys,

I was just curious, as it's an amazing book for detail and it sought of surprises me that I never see a reference to it or have never seen another copy.

khaki

There was one very recently on eBay in amongst a lot of books of that genre, it sold for around 11.00 IIRC, it is an invaluable huge tome some 6" thick if I recall.sadly I forgot to bid on it!! ... but did manage to get a DSO Register and a SA War Honours and Awards for 9.99 each!

I bought my copy from The Naval & Military Press in 1996 for £14.95, I was happy to pay that due to the amount of info in it, plus my Greatgrandfather is listed in the retired army officers section.