The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

An ANZAC on the Western Front by H.R Williams

Black Maria

I was thinking of purchasing this book which is due to be published by Pen and Sword books soon.Then reading the blurb on their website i noticed it had been published before and realised it is a reprint of "The Gallant Company " first published in 1933 and which i already have a copy of.A welcome reprint of a classic memoir but i wish they had kept the original title to save confusion.

I must admit to being pretty sated by personal accounts after so many years interest in the Great War (and with more than a shelf or so full of them - ranging from excellent to very ordinary. It is pretty rare to come up with one republished, about which I was unaware, as good as this. I have just read it for review in Stand To! and rate it very highly indeed. Part of my review follows.

Williams was a highly perceptive, frequently wry, observer of war, its effects; of climate, geography, of officers and men, and of the events which he and his comrades experienced and combated during the Great War. His writing, based on a wartime diary, is equally effective; its careful simplicity and clarity maintains interest and is frequently engrossing. Consequently An Anzac on the Western Front is an important reprint and one in the front rank of soldiers’ stories.

Buy it. You will not be disappointed