The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rheumatism/Myositis/Arthritis

DirtyDick

On one chap's service papers he is listed as suffering from 'pains in R. Shoulder' and then clarified as 'rheumatism Myositis' in the right shoulder, some 4 weeks after having been transferred to a base hospital from a CCS.

Re-admitted to hospital a month later, it was diagnosed as 'Osteo-Arthritis R/Shoulder Joint', and he spent the remainder of his service (formally Natal Mounted Rifles (SA Infantry) in HQ and logistics postings.

I realise that this is primarily an hereditary condition or else aggravated by age/usage, but this chap was only 28 when so diagnosed and soon after being evacuated from CCS following an action in which his battalion was involved, so I was wondering:

1 Whether this would be a likely complication from a battlefield wound?

2 How severe would this condition be? I note that he was only medically downgraded from A1 to B1 upon demobilisation at the end of the War, rather than discharged wounded.

Cheers

Richard

Osteo ~ Arthritis is a common result of Load Bearing Joint Trauma{Rheumatoid Arthritis,however is generally considered to be an Age thing,it can develop @ any age}I speak from experience having developed O/A following a Road Accident in 1973 @ 21,& having a resultant Hip Replacement @ 25,when the Arthritis developed in Bone where the surfaces had been exposed,by the damage & had worn together,so depending on the type of wound I would suggest that where joints had been shattered & had healed O/A would be a common development

It would be aggravated by Damp & Cold Trench conditions,it could be quite debilitating eventually but would have been ,as it is today, a progressive condition,as is indicated by his papers ,what started as a painful shoulder,soon became quite restrictive as it became inflamed in the joint

Hi Richard

You do not have to be old to get Arthritis, a former work mate of mine had a granddaughter who was born with it.

Annette

rheumatoid arthritis is basically an auto immune disease, and can affect anyone from babies onwards

osteo arthritis is wear and tear related, affecting younger sufferers mainly after injury and to some extext most of us if we get old enough

Thanks for the replies, chaps and chapesses.

His papers make no reference to GSW, shrapnel or similar precipitating this condition, it was just that he was wounded/injured two days after an action where his unit fought and he was first dealt with by a Field Ambulance (i.e. flared up in the Field and was of a severity to require immediate treatment), then acting as the Casualty Clearing Station. Strangely, it was not picked up or otherwise made evident until after his infantry training (which, what with all those press-ups and log races, I would have thought would have immediately aggravated it).

Equally, there is no mention of a disability pension if it was brought about through service. I would have thought that the distinction between A1 and B1 was not so very great (I believe at this time B1 was A1 for spectacle wearers with moderate myopia - otherwise fit but need glasses to shoot), so would this have pecluded his further service in the SA infantry?

Thanks again; and any other information would be most welcome.

Richard

It’s a fallacy that osteoarthritis is a condition experienced only by old people.

I’ve had it for a long time in one foot after breaking those bones in my teens and you’ll see from my profile that I’m hardly ancient. My orthopaedic consultant told me that he’s seen it in people in their very early twenties, for example dancers and sports people who’ve damaged their feet. (For this reason, I loathe seeing classical ballet dancers hurting their feet and compromising their future foot mobility for other people’s enjoyment.) Eventually the bones often develop spurs which stick up and believe me it’s like having heated needles stuck into your skin from the inside out.

Whatever age you have it, it makes movement very difficult at times and your soldier would have suffered a lot of pain. You might find the information on the arc (Arthritis Research Campaign) website http://www.arc.org.uk helpful.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn.

I assume from this that it could possibly indicate an earlier injury to his shoulder (aside from a genetic predisposition). Do you know whether such unspecific 'pains' (as initially written on his docs) a month or so after entering hospital could develop so suddenly into diagnosable osteoarthritis, since otherwise I would think it would have become apparent upon enlistment or training and thus render him below A1.

(I believe stupendously high-heeled shoes have a similar effect; also causing tendon damage and circulatory problems in later life.)

Cheers

Richard

I believe stupendously high-heeled shoes have a similar effect; also causing tendon damage and circulatory problems in later life

You must stop wearing them then ~~Immediately!! :P

Carrying on from what Gwyn said

example dancers and sports people who’ve damaged their feet

What sort of job did your chap do before the war, he may have had slight problems before joining up but training and then life in the trenches speeded up the osteo arthritis.

Such minor problems can turn every quickly -I know

I have been very active since I was a troddler, playing footie, Motorcrossing and have played hockey for the last 20 years. At the start of last season I started to feel a bit of an ach in my left foot but took on notice of it but by the last two game of the that season it became intense pain, so much so that I had to take pain killers to get through the last game. I throught I had broken something in my foot but no, the Doctor told me it was just wear and tear and that the joint of the big toe had gone. So in the space of six months it had gone from very minor pain to intense pain.

Annette

I think it is extremely unlikely that osteoarthritis was the cause of shoulder disability. OA can occur in any joint that is heavily used, especially if it is weight-bearing. It is a reaction to these pressures, not just 'wear and tear', causing the overgrowth of bone spurs coupled with the loss of joint space. OA can affect the shoulders of people who use the arms for weight-bearing eg constantly use crutches.

More likely, this person had something like rotator cuff syndrome, which is an extremely painful affliction of the shoulder that can render the shoulder virtually useless. Inflammation can occur in and around the shoulder joint. This may cause crepitus, a grating sensation that mimicks the effects of OA in the knees for example.

Robert

"Joint pain" is a common entry on war records for the reasons mentioned above.

Manifestations of genetic rheumatologic conditions under the influence of heavy labor and damp combat conditions.

"Rheumatism" of weight-bearing joints may also be a consequence of venereal diseases. Gonorrhea, Chlamydia infections without the benefit of antibiotic eradication may become blood-borne and create an infectious / inflammatory arthritis.

Chronic "over use" conditions from ill-fitting kit, packing burdens, repetitive rifle-recoil on the dominant shoulder, shoveling during trench maintenance under the same damp conditions.

Pain from any of these conditions not treated with rest / rehabilitation periods, poor nutrition may be expected to become chronic. Those impairing return to duty, affecting gainful employment ... disability claims would result.

Doc D

Hello

Thanks; from what people have been saying it seems most likely that it cropped up quite suddenly and unexpectedly.

He was a trader (reference to the local store) and lorry driver in Mateitaland (?sp.), South Africa.

Harry-Roger,

I haven't worn stupendously high-heeled shoes since becoming a radical feminist whilst at university; now it's deck shoes, plimsolls and army surplus all the way.

Richard

I have the records of a Major who was given electric treatment (including high frequency) for Rhumatism at Etaples. His papers also state he was Assist. to Assistant Provost Marshall Etaples Administrative Base.

I have enquired about this to a medical contact who asked around and said no one knew of such a thing.

This one is odd for there is some comments from the Min of Pensions saying there was no record of his admission or discharge at the Depot although a doctor Capt. J.H.Iles RAMC was quoted correctly. Isles was on the staff of No.6 Convalescent Depot who at Etaples from Sept till Dec 1917 had a special electro-theraputic department.

He was not wounded and it mentions it was for his back.

He was refused command of a company as he had no experience of company work in the line.

Comments?

For general information and as a medical aside, since this subject has been beaten nearly to death, the suffix "osis" refers to a medical condition whereas the suffix "itis" refers to an inflammation of the subject body part.

One often sees the two confused and mislabed, such as "loveitis" which is rather silly when one considers that from this title, the person has a disease of "inflammation of love." (Then again, if you have an STD that just might be the case!)

DrB

;)

So, speaking literally, if someone is suffering from 'loveitis' then they really shouldn't leave the house in any but the baggiest trousers and also avoid public transport for fear of arrest? :ph34r:

Cheers, DrB, nice to have resident Medicos about.

Richard

I have the records of a Major who was given electric treatment (including high frequency) for Rhumatism at Etaples.

Isles was on the staff of No.6 Convalescent Depot who at Etaples from Sept till Dec 1917 had a special electro-theraputic department.

There was a real vogue for electrical therapies of various forms. Typically these were not medically sanctioned. Adverts in newspapers, magazines and the like would frequently herald some new treatment, much as they do today. The observation that electical current could stimulate muscle contraction led to the notion that such treatments might be useful for maintaining function and aiding convalescence. To some extent this is true. Movement across joints can help to prevent contractures for example. If there has been nerve damage with paralysis, then there is a loss of the trophic effects of nerves on muscles, which is independent of the electrical signals that nerves conduct. Thus external stimulation does not reverse these effects.

Robert

So, speaking literally, if someone is suffering from 'loveitis' then they really shouldn't leave the house in any but the baggiest trousers and also avoid public transport for fear of arrest? :ph34r:

Cheers, DrB, nice to have resident Medicos about.

Richard

LOL :lol:

That's the funniest thing I've read this week.