The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Lt E. R. Hutt

Hugh Pattenden

Hi,

I've been trying to do some research with regard to the following gentleman:

Second Lieutenant Ernest Reginald Hutt, 6th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers

He died on 25th September 1915 at Loos. Commemorated Loos Memorial.

I have tried the CWGC records, local newspapers, his regimental museum, and school archives all without success. Indeed all I know of him is that above and that his father was an engineer in South Africa and that he lived with his aunt in (I believe) Cambridge (unknown address).

Does anyone have any ideas as to where else I could try? I should hate for him to fall into obscurity and be forgotten.

Many thanks,

Hugh

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Hugh,

You could try calling your other family members who may know of his involvement during the disasterous Battle of Loos 1915. That is what I would suggest.

-Doughboy

You could look for his file of service papers at the National Archives in Kew. That will give some background and family detail.

Search for details of his promotions and appointments in the Army List and the London Gazette. Examine the battalion war diary.

Since he was commissioned early in the war (2/Lt dated 3/9/14) and the battalion was raised at Ayr, perhaps an Ayrshire paper ? Phil B

2nd Lieut. Ernest Reginald Hutt, R Scots Fusiliers

Born in 1892

Attended Monkton Combe School from 1906-Jul 1910 where he played with the 1st XV in 1908 and 1909, the 1st XI from 1908-10; the 1st IV, Gym IV and Shooting VIII from 1907 to 1910.

Student at the Royal School of Mines from 1910-1914, Associate Royal School of Mines

In 1914 enlisted as a Sapper in the London Electrical Engineers

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut, R. Scots Fusiliers, November 1914

Wounded and Missing near Loos in April 1915.

Sources: Monkton Combe School Register, 1868-1964; Register of the Associates and Old Students of the Royal School of Mines, 1932.

Regards. Dick Flory