The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reserve Brigades and Training Reserve Brigades

Wienand Drenth

Goodevening to all,

While researching the New Army units I came across the battalions that by September 1916 constituted the Training Reserve. However, prior to that time, there were already several Reserve Brigades. To me it is not clear how they evolved from April 1915 until their disbandment later in 1918.

I have aleady the following details:

1) 1st - 15th Reserve Infantry Bdes were formed April 1915 when the six divisions of first K4 were broken up.

2) Prior to formation of the Training Reserve, there appear to be 24 reserve brigades (see James e.g.).

3) The Training Reserve was formed 1 September 1916 with 24 Brigades (numbered 1 - 14, 16 - 24 and 26).

4) 15th Reserve Brigade was not Training Reserve, but with reserve battalions from Ulster. Does this brigade have any relation to 15th Reserve Brigade mentioned under 1) (one of the old K4 brigades).

So, my main question is how the original 15 brigades relate to the 24 brigade found later in the Training Reserve, and when the 9 additional brigade were formed prior to the formation of the TR (see 2)).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Wienand