The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

US Army

Jacob

How can I locate the part of the US Army Norman GRANT was in? He joined in Oklahoma in June, 1917. Thanks.

Bill White

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Jacob,

If you have the time I would strongly suggest the NARA, our national archives, or the National Army Museum of the United States of America. Also, the Pennsylvania Army Military History Institution (AMHI) has one of the largest archives and collection of letters, documents etc of American soldiers who served in the Great War.

-Doughboy

Jacob,

Is this all the information you have about Norman Grant? There is another web site... which I am trying to track down, but the more information you have the better.

Andy

Your best shot may be Oklahoma Adjutant General, very good chance they will have record & get it to you quickly unlike National Military Presonnel Records Center St Louis which will take a year to tell you they burned records.

JAcob,

What I couldn't remember this morning was the only real location for identification of Military Service records is in St. Louis, MO. The facility sustained significant fire damage in the 1970s. However, with the name, date of birth and military service number, a family member can obtain a copy of the veterans discharge. The forms can be obtained on line or through the National Archives. An online search will also provide the information. The title of the facility is National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Ave, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. The request form, SF180 can be down loaded. They will not accept e-mail inquiries at the present. Good luck!

Andy

Bill

If you manage to find your way around that NARA site please let me know as i spent 2 hours on it one night and give up, never tried again.

But when i have been trying to find out bits on my relatives in the states i have found quite a few forums and web sites just by typing in military organisations to do with what ever part of the military your relative may be in.