The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

72 Div British Army

Guest stevenbec

Guest stevenbec

Can anyone tell me about this unit or about this officer.

Thomas Legh was granted a commison from the AIF into the British Army 25th May 1917.

He went into the Arty being sent to A/353 Bde RFA 72nd Div sfter that I dont know.

I checked your site but could find no record but could find the 353 Bde RFA?

Thanks for any insight

S.B

Hi Steven

72 Div was a home-service division formed in November 1916 in Somersetshire.

65th, 67th and 68th Divisions transferred sufficient personnel to form five batteries.

On 01/01/17 the batteries were numbered. Jan 17 Div moved to Bedford, Wellingborough and Northampton. May 17 Div moved to Ipswich, where it formed part of Southern Army, Home Forces, and the Div was responsibile for the defence of the East coast from the River Deben to Orfordness.

Disbandment began in early 1918 and by April was complete.

As regards the Artillery brigades (352 & 353), both had begun to form by 20/11/16. Personnel to form 3 x 18 pdr batteries and 2 x 4.5 howitzer batteries came from A/327 (65 Div), C/327, C/326 & A/335 (67 Div) and B/342 (69 Div). The 4th 18 pdr battery was 8th Prov Bde Fd Bty which became A/352. Until their own guns were issued, Northern Command and Northern and Southern Armies loaned a section of 18pdr guns, or 4.5 howitzers to each of the batteries. Both Artillery Bdes were broken up by 25/02/18.

Info comes from Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions