The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Method of determining Identity of unknown soldiers

Ralph J. Whitehead

I was wondering what methods the British or other Allied countries used to identify their dead. I came across a number of lists from the German Verlustlisten that tried to provide details on soldiers that had been killed but could not be identified. These details included initials on rings, dates on same, watches with inscriptions, or any unusual personal item or piece of jewelry. Wedding rings with dates and initials were often used. they went as far as to mention any numbers found on watches such as silver content or manufacturers marke.

Were these techniques used anywhere else?

Ralph

A few years ago when I was given permission to access the original cemetery indexes of the Graves Registration Units at the CWGC especially those for Caterpillar Valley Cemetery when the battlefield clearances took place around 1919/1920 period.

Every scrap of detail that was found with any remains was recorded. Initials on rings, inscriptions on watches. Even cutlery items sometimes had numbers stamped on them. If the remains were deemed to be an officer they also made a dental record of what teeth were missing or how many were false etc.

I have since checked on some of the numbers on cutlery etc found on unidentified and the numbers correspond to men KIA who are now on the Thiepval Memorial. But I think the CWGC need more proof than that since a soldier might have let a pal borrow his spoon etc.

If Terry Denham gets to see this reply I would love to return to the CWGC and do more research. The lady that I dealt with then has since left.

Regards

Terry

Terry

As you know CWGC's files are not available to the general public but they will occasionally let someone look at specific documents for a specific purpose - not just a general mooch round.

All you can do is ask. An appoinment is required and avoid busy periods like November!

Hi Terry

Your right there. I was researching material for the High Wood book that I was going to do for Pen & Sword's Battlefield Europe series. However, it has all fell through now, and I am not doing it.

But the info I gleaned from the CWGC was really interesting.

Regards

Terry