The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CEF War Diaries, availability ?

JulianB

Chris, yes that was I; I decided to have a flutter but wasn't overly concerned when I lost. I have my eye on something else that will be much more expensive. Not a word to the wife!

I wonder why the Reserve Battalions kept a WD? I thought only units that went overseas were supposed to have a WD . . .

The Missus never heard anything from me! :D

Good question - the Reserve diaries I've looked at are very short and to the point in their entries. So far the 1st to the 6th Reserve Infantry Battalions are up, and 1st to 3rd Reserve Canadian Engineers are on-line.

Now if they would only post the Siberian Contingent Infantry Battalions.

Presumably the title 89th OVERSEAS Battalion indicates such !!

(Is this the same as RERSERVE Bn)

Although, yes I know it went to UK but not to France, ie active service.

So, if they did have a WD for UK (or even home service in Canada !?) it may end up on line ?? - quite a queue in front of it though, so it might be a long wait !

J

Julian, all CEF battalions were considered "Overseas". Not having the word overseas included in the design of a capbadge was enough to have it officially rejected.

In this case, as soon as the 89th reached England, it probably was absorbed by the 9th Reserve Battalion (the war diary may give further details) so a war diary is unlikely. Having said that, you never know.

An enquiry to the National Archives of Canada should answer your question.

Julian, when we talk about overseas we mean France and Flanders, that is active service.

I think most of the 258 Canadian Infantry Battalions had "Overseas" as part of their original title when they were formed. A Reserve battalion in England was what the high numbered battalions like the 189th were channelled into; that is the Umpteenth Reserve Battalion might consists of men from the 189th, the 207th, the 83rd, the 114th, etc., usually based on province of origin.

I do not think any "Overseas" battalions formed in Canada that only made it to England ever kept a War Diary; so I seriously doubt if the 189th's WD exists.

Sorry about that. Although if you ever get to Ottawa, I bet there is a box full of musty old documents about the 189th that will never be available online.