The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Day Sussex Died, A history of Lowther's Lambs to the Boar'

Jim Hastings

Afternoon all,

Found this title while scanning through Amazon and took my eye as I'm interested in the Royal Sussex and have found John's website invaluable and very interesting. Thought this title would be a worthy addition to my library, but despite only being published in June there seems to be no availability on book selling websites or in stores. Anyone know what is happening / why this is?

Many thanks

Jim

I did CGM and have just received a reply.

Sadly the author, John Baines, passed away shortly after the book's publication and now it is only available direct from his website by contacting

books@royalsussex.org.uk

Condolensces to the family. I found John's website inspirational and greatly furthered my knwoledge of the Royal Sussex

Jim

Hi Jim.

Thanks for posting, i have just sent them an email, cheers. JIM

A duty Ypres,

If the book is as good and informative as his website it'll be a brilliant read and a very fitting tribute and legacy

Just ordered mine!

Have a good day

Jim

Just received my copy - just browsing through you can see how thorough John has been, covering every conceivable angle (including German) with many maps, panoramas, photos and media reports. Well worth every penny by the looks! Will do a proper review once fully read.

Although one thing already, I bought the A5 version, really wish I'd bought the A4! If you don't plan to take it on your travels to the battlefield but keep for home reference, really recommend you get the A4 version.

All the best

Jim

Add that there is nothing wrong with the A5 version, just the book looks so good it'd have been better had I bought the bigger version

JH

Thank You Jim for your fantastic reviews of my dad's book, its something that my family are incredibly proud of. My Dad spent a lot of time researching the battle before even putting pen to paper and we are so thankful that he got chance to finish it and to see the first one in print. Shame he isn't around to see the possitive reviews that the book is now getting and to see how many people would be joining him in remembering those poor Sussex men.

I will be ordering one shortly

Me too!

My copy came yesterday, cannot comment yet as my wife got to it first!!!.JIM

I will also be ordering one soon, Seen that listed as temporarily out of stock on Amazon UK. Boar's Head 30th June 1916 was the worst day for Great War casualties for Hove, where I live so time I read more about it- was reminded of Boar's Head from re-reading Edmund Blunden's 'Undertones of War'.

Condolences to the author's family at their sad loss.

Would like to help publicise the book locally.

Regards

Michael Bully

I'm sorry Michael but my father's book will only be available by emailing books@royalsussex.org.uk whilst we try to work out all of his passwords for different accounts etc and set up new accounts where this is not possible.

We are hoping that it will only be a temporary thing sorry

I have already sent an E mail to this address via the website. Regards Michael

I'm sorry Michael but my father's book will only be available by emailing books@royalsussex.org.uk whilst we try to work out all of his passwords for different accounts etc and set up new accounts where this is not possible.

We are hoping that it will only be a temporary thing sorry

• 4 months later...
  • Admin

I have just asked the birthday fairy for this book; I will be in the area on my birthday so would be great to use it on the ground.

Michelle

Thank you Mags,

I enjoyed John's book and now have Hugh Miller's 'We Wunt Be Druv' which is very comprehensive and again obviously a labour of love. For me, the more Royal Sussex material published the better, enjoy reading about them!

Many thanks and best wishes

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

The birthday fairy came up trumps, I haven't had a chance to sit down and read it yet though.

Michelle

• 3 years later...

Just bumping this up the thread. A revised edition has been published in the last few days, according to Amazon, and is available from their website, they say.

Great bump, thanks! Have just ordered my copy from Amazon, and am looking forward to reading it.

Cheers, Pat

Its a good read Pat, some great photos of the Lambs. I hear Paul Reed, who interviewed many of the surviving Lambs, has a new book planned about them / a re-release of a book he wrote a few years ago. I plan to do a school assembly about the Lambs on the 30th June, as we have many pupils from Hailsham, where Nelson Carter lived.

Enjoy

Jim