The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What is Army Form B213?

Guest Juice

In various service documents, I notice references to Army Form "B 213". Would anyone be aware of what it was used for, would those forms still exist for reference (C.E.F.), etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Juice

Juice, sorry I can't answer your question. Just thought I'd say hello and welcome to the boards.

It's nice to see another Quebecer in the Forum! :)

Hi Juice,

Just got this off a web site "Record of promotions, reductions, transfers, casualties, etc., during active service, as reported on Army Form B. 213"

That's all i know. Hope it helps.

Glynn.

The AF B 213 was the Field Return.

It was submitted weekly and listed Killed in Action, Missing, Wounded, Gassed, NYDN, missing as well as transfers postings and promotions.

The AF B 213 was the Field Return.

It was submitted weekly and listed Killed in Action, Missing, Wounded, Gassed, NYDN, missing as well as transfers postings and promotions.

Chris,

Thank you for your response on B 213. Because I am trying to make sense of some conflicting informations, I would like to know more about the document. Who filled it, how accurate can the dates be, is it archived (CEF), etc.?

Any leads are appreciated.

Juice

Juice,

I'll scan an example and post it to let you see what it looks like. It was compiled by Battalions, Batteries, etc., from sub unit returns and sent to 3rd Echelon of G.H.Q.

It was the authority for reinforcements as well as being a record. Drafts of reinforcements were 'demanded' by units in the field sending in a field return to the 3rd Echelon of G.H.Q. - the Adjutant-General's Branch.

Chris

• 19 years later...

In this particular instance, his promotion was with effect 5 June 1916. This was communicated in a B213 dated 9 June 1916, and this was added to the B 103 on 17 June 1916.

Image courtesy FindMyPast

Chas John Atkins ASC B103.JPG

The broken link to two images of the B213 on the forum should be pointing to the following path

Here's a good explanation of the GHQ Adjutant General function, 3rd Echelon etc., from The Times, Thursday 01 Jul 1915:

AG3rdEchelon(Times01Jul1915p.7).jpg.19bd2d968fb1b1a68438ecc2baf3909e.jpg

Source: The Times, Issue 40895, Thu 01 Apr 1915, p.7.  Gale Document Number: CS117769441

© Times Newspapers Ltd

14 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Here's a good explanation of the GHQ Adjutant General function, 3rd Echelon etc., from The Times, Thursday 01 Jul 1915:

[snip]

Source: The Times, Issue 40895, Thu 01 Apr 1915, p.7.  Gale Document Number: CS117769441

© Times Newspapers Ltd

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Pat, the Field Service Regulations stated that:

1. [extract] A commander of a unit or a detachment will furnish weekly, on a Sunday, to the A.G’s office at the base a return (A.F. B 213) for all persons rationed by him on the previous Saturday.  A nominal roll, supplementary to any casualty state will be entered on the reverse of this return showing:-

i. All casualties occurred since the last return rationed by the unit.

ii. All alterations since the last return due to arrivals and departures.

iii. Information required for the compilation of Part II. Orders (A.F. O 1810).**

2. [in full] The officer in charge of the A.G’s office at the base will forward weekly to the officer in charge of records at home, and to the paymaster at the base more frequently if possible, a copy of Part II. Orders (A.F. O 1810) for each unit comprised in the forces in the field.

3. [in full] The officer in charge of the A.G’s office at the base will cause to be entered on A.F. B 213, A.F. A 36, or from other sources, regarding each soldier, or civilian employed with the forces in the field (Sec. 144 of Field Service Regulations, Part II, Organization & Administration 1909 reprinted 1914).  This form, then, will constitute a permanent record of each individual during the campaign, and in the case of a soldier will subsequently be filed with his original attestation. 

** this would include promotions within the gift of commanding officers.

Thank you both for this.