The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Colour Sergeant

Guest scott leader

Guest aughnahoe

the couler sgt role was to protect the coulers, the coulers was a life and death situation,troops always ralled round the coulers to protect them,and to identify the regiment,it also carried on the banner the battles the regiment had won.it was agreat prize to capture these in battle.

Scott.

The Colour Sergeant is one rank above that of Sergeant. You only find Colour Sergeants in infantry units. Elsewhere, they are Staff Sergeants.

Dave.

Guest scott leader

Thanks

It's that I have a 1914 Bar Trio to a colour sergeant

sergeant on star

colour sergeant on pair.

I've not seen many to this rank, has anyboby else?

Scott

Thanks

It's that I have a 1914 Bar Trio to a colour sergeant

sergeant on star

colour sergeant on pair.

I've not seen many to this rank, has anyboby else?

Scott

that has surprised me, i always imagine a trio (or a pair) being processed together

that has surprised me, i always imagine a trio (or a pair) being processed together

I have a photo of a relative of mine in uniform with only his star being worn, so I guess (no doubt someone on here knows) that stars got processed earlier.

Ali

By WW1 Colour Sergeant had given way to Company Sergeant Major and Company Quartermaster Sergeant

They must have been re-instated as in the early 1990's I was a rifle company medic and they had a Colour Serjeant.

Ali

Looks like they`ve still got them. This is from a Royal Scots website:-

Army Home Page / Royal Scots Home / Careers / Benefits / Pay & Rewards

Soldiers Rates of Pay - April 2003

The basic gross weekly wage and annual rates of pay for servicemen, new entrants and trained soldiers for the lower band of pay are shown below

ADULTS LEVEL AMOUNT P/W AMOUNT P/A

New Entrants 213.29 11,152

Private 1 250 13,080

Private 3 279.51 14,614

Private 4 304.08 15,899

Lance Corporal 7 348.11 18,201

Corporal 1 413.84 21,637

Sergeant 1 470.47 24,598

Colour Sergeant 1 520.80 27,230

Warrant Officer Class 2 5 565.04 29,543

Warrant Officer Class 1 1 604.94 31,629

Phil B

Scott

As far as I can tell from units of the Worcestershire Regiment, Colour Sergeant's performed the roles of Company Sergeant Majors and Company Quartermaster Sergeants in WW1. The only WO2 in an infantry battalion was the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant and the only WO1 was the Regimental Sergeant Major.

I have several medals named to 'C/Sgt's and know that they were in fact CQMS - indeed one group is named Sergt on the star, C/Sgt on the pair and CQMS on the Territorial Force Effieciency Medal.

The differing ranks on the star versus the WW1 pair is quite usual. The star bears the rank they landed with, and the pair bears the highes substantive, acting or temporary rank held by the soldier in a theatre of war.

Hope of some use

Paul

CQMS was/ is a job within a company. C/Sgt is the rank that the CQMS holds.

In some cavalry regiments in the 90's S/Sgts were commanding Troops and were called Sergt. Maj when refering to him and Sir when talking to him.

By WW1 Colour Sergeant had given way to Company Sergeant Major and Company Quartermaster Sergeant

They must have been re-instated as in the early 1990's I was a rifle company medic and they had a Colour Serjeant.

Ali

...and a long time earlier! They certainly existed in 1936 (when my Gt.Uncle was one), WW2, the 1950's (dad) and the 1980's/90's (when I had one - never was one though! :( ).

Incidentally (speaking of the 1980's/90's) "my" CQMS's rank badge was a crown enclosed within a wreath worn on the forearm and was an equivalent WOII rank.

Dave.

(We called our Colour Sgt. "Colour" (or "Staff" if he wasn't infantry) and our CQMS was called "Sir")

Since 1751, regiments have been allowed two Colours only; the King or Queen’s Colour and the Regimental Colour.

An exception to this is The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding) who parade four colours. From memory the 2 battalion Colours, the Queens Colour and the fourth Colour which was awarded to the 76th Regiment of Foot as part of the army in India. It features an elephant and the word Hindoostan.

Fred