The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ernest Sharp

colli23

I am tryin to track down a Ernest Sharp he was born 26th of november 1882 He dies in 1921 in morley from TB The only clue i have to his identity is on his marriage certificate " infantry officer-Perth- jan 1915"

I jhave a picture and It is possible that one of them could be him but the problem is it is very hard to see the badge or any identifyin marks. Would it be possible if any of you could take a look and tell me if you come across anything useful.

Anything useful would be gratefully received Thank you.

My e mail adress is colli23@msn.com

The picture is attached i hope!

post-20-1093200483.jpg

The men in the picture appear to all be "Other Ranks"

If he was Commissioned from the Ranks,there are two or three of these men who appear to be older{on your dates he would have been around 32~34 @ this time,so could be one of those}.the Badge is difficult as out of focus,however from the general shape & size it could be Yorks & Lancs,or East Lancs,Leeds Rifles??,do either of those Regiments ring a bell?One Shoulder Title that is visible appears to be a T/XXX/XXXX Type[ie three piece]The uniforms look "New" so could have been taken early on 1914?? There is Snow on the ground & it looks like a UK Barracks Huts,

Any chance of a close up of the shoulder titles or a scan of the marriage certificate?

Cap badge looks like a Rifle Brigade though <_<

One E. Sharp in Leeds Rifles, but the date of death does not match.

Regards, Chris.

The picture blows up very badly but you can see the 3 part S/T on the soldier on the Right facing you,the badge becomes harder to distinguish?

I lightened up the photo a bit.

post-20-1093217311.jpg

Do you have his full name? You can search the London Gazette on line and there may be a notice of his commission.

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/archiveSea...e=0&Referer=WW1

If he was in Perth I he may have been attached to a Scottish unit. Perhaps the Black Watch.

Regards

Tim D

WOW thats really good. I will try and get a scan of the certificate and see what we can get from it. I have already checked with the black watch and he was not in that the only problem is with all the changing in regiments he could be anywhere. Thank you and anymore information would be fantastic.

I will keep on workin on the marriage certificate

And RM badge. Maybe.

Brum

The RM badge with Crown wasn't worn until well after WW1 as the RM had different units with different badges then:RMLI with Bugle Horn,RM Labour Corps with a Ship ,& RMA a Grenade Badge,etc;If Scot's Regiments surely they would be wearing Tams or Glengarrys?& most Scottish Regiment Badges err on the Large size,A search of the LG for Ernest Sharp gives no returns for Commissions of that name{a couple that include "Edward Sharp" but have other forenames}& even a search for "Sharp" for 1915 the period he is stated as being an Officer doesn't show an Ernest Sharp in the Commissions

Very difficult to be certain but can I suggest the 7th (Robin Hood) Battalion of The Sherwood Foresters. This was a Territorial battalion.

Cannot find a picture to scan in though.

Neil

Brum

The RM badge with Crown wasn't worn until well after WW1

I did not know that, thanks for enlightening me. I do not think it could be a Rifle Brigade badge though, it just has too much depth to it.

Brum

I do not think it could be a Rifle Brigade badge though, it just has too much depth to it.

Brum

Me neither,the centre image of the badge isnt apparently symetrical,more abstract like a Sphinx/Lion; etc;which is why my initial thoughts where Y & L;or East Lancs etc,something in that vein???If only the original owners would mark the backs!!!