The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CSM Knight Coldstream Guards

Frajohn

Hi

I am looking for some assistance in tracing my paternal Grandfather, his name was Henry Francis Knight and was born May 5th 1881 in London. I have very little information as there are no surviving relatives who knew him, what I have is a result of some guesswork and some distant memories of things that were said when I was far younger!

I was told that he had fought in two wars, and had assumed that they were WW1 & WW2, this I am now sure is incorrect. I have a copy of his death certificate for December 1st 1939 (age 58) and with the occupation of transport manager. I therefore assume that he fought in the Boer War & WW1. I have various certificates to say that he was in the Coldstream Guards, 2nd Battalion. On his marriage February 1st 1909 he was a Corporal and resided at Chelsea Barracks. My father was baptised 25th September 1910 at the Royal Military Chapel, Wellington Barracks, at that time Henry was a Lance Sergeant. In January 1917, he sadly lost his daughter at the age of 2years, at that time his wife and family were living in Windsor and Henry was the rank of Company Sergeant Major. Henry had left Military service by May 1924.

I have previously utilised the service of Chris Baker, at that time it was not possible to trace the medal record card for Henry Francis Knight. However, there was a Harry Francis Knight, who appeared to match as the only H F Knight CSM 1730 in the Coldstream Guards. I do have some documents that give his name as Harry rather than Henry, as such I assume that this is correct. Chris was kind enough to write to the Guards on my behalf, unfortunately they would not share any information with him, rather it was up to me to write as next of kin. This I did, but sadly some time later I was advised by the archivist that this record was missing and could offer no further assistance.

From the medal records, he was awarded the Victory and Britsh medals.

I do not have any idea where I can go from here, I visit the Western Front battlefields and although I have most of the books advising where the Guards fought, I suppose I am looking for confirmation where and when my Grandfather was there. I would also love to find out more about his time in the Boer War. As such would really appreciate any directions for further research

Sorry that this posting is so long, but I thought it preferable to give all of the information I have.

Many thanks for your time in reading this!

Hello

I have a copy of the Queens South Africa medal roll for the Foot Guards and will endeavour to check these this week for mention of your grandfather.

Rgds

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John

I've had a look through the Queens South Africa medal roll for the Coldstream Guards (WO100/164) and can confirm that your grandfather was issued with the medal with clasps for "Cape Colony" and "South Africa 1902". As a matter of interest, his rank is shown as "Drummer" (No. 1730). He wouldn't have been issued with the Kings South Africa medal and his entitlement is consistent with having served in South Africa towards the end of the War.

I can copy the roll page if you are interested - just drop me a line.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Ed

Dear Ed

Many thanks for the information. I appreciate your time in looking for the information.

I would be grateful if you could let me have a copy of the entry.

Kind regards

John