The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Alfred Kitcher

Liz Kitcher

I am trying to research my great grandfather Alfred Kitcher, who was in the 14th Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment. He died on 16/10/1917 and is buried at Godewaersvelde British Cemetery, Nord. Does the date of his death and the place he was bured help in trying to work out in which battle he was killed? Any suggestions welcomed as the usual Great War Dead publications don't include him at all.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz

Welcome to the forum, I can't help with which battle his Btn was involved in but Soldiers Died in Great War gives following information

Born and Enlisted in Southampton

Died of Wounds 16/10/17.

Have you been to The Long Long Trail as advised at top of this thread,you will get more help there.

Regards Doug

Hi Liz

14 Hamps were part of 116 Brigade, 39 Division who releived 37 Div. near Gheluvelt, west of Ypres during the 3rd Battle of Ypres. The 1st Battle of Passchendaele ( a stage of the 3rd Battle of Ypres) started on 12 October.

10 men of 10 Hamps were either Killed in Action or Died of Wounds between th 15 and 17 Oct.

It looks like private 24867 Alfred Kitcher was wounded in the relief and sent back to one of 3 Casualty Clearing Stations around the village of Godewaersvelde and died there.

I hope your research bears further fruit.

All the best

Dave

Thanks for your help on this, it will certainly give me an excellent basis on which to find out more about my great grandad.

Liz

He's also on he So'ton Cenotaph. Try roll-of-honour.com and see if theres any extra info there?

Liz, as the cemetery is between Poperinghe and Hazebrouck, one can assume he DOW. That means an educated guess at where he was wounded. His Bn were involved at Polygon Wood on 26/9/17, but I can`t find a major engagement for them after that. Hope it helps! Phil B

I can only add an almost relevant snippet to this discussion. I have in front of me a copy of an order dated October 24, 1917 by the Director of Medical Services of the Second Army, giving the casualty evacuation arrangements for the Second Army ( which included the 39th Division, as part of X Corps). I do not believe the 39th Division had moved from its position on the south of the salient in the previous week, so this may be similar to the arrangement in place when pte. Kitcher was wounded. At any rate it will give you a feel as to how these things were managed.

Lying cases from X Corps were to be taken by Ambulance Car or Motor Lorry to Remy Siding ( Nos. 10, 17, 2 & 3 Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations).

Walking cases from X Corps arriving by Ambulance Car or Motor Lorry to Godewaersvelde ("God wears velvet", Nos. 11,37, 41 C.C.S.)

Patients from X Corps evacuated by train to Bailleul (No. 53 C.C.S.) or Outtersteene (No. 2, No. 1 Australian C.C.S.).

Under this scheme, one would have expected a X Corps man buried at Godewaersvelde to have at least been able to sit up in the ambulance car on the way to the C.C.S. However, this is pure speculation. Lying cases would also have been taken to the nearest Station accepting casualties at that time.

I am sorry this is the best I can do.

Liz,

Welcome to the forum.

To add to what you have already, the campaign Medal Rolls for the Hampshire Regiment confirm 14th Battalion (1st Pompey Pals) for Alfred Kitcher and an entitlement to the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

He is not mentioned by name in the regimental history nor is he listed in the National Roll of the Great War for Southampton.

I may be able to add some further detail in due course once I have checked out some other references.

Marc

Thanks Marc, any information you have would be great as Alfred Kitcher has been a bit of a mystery to me until very recently. I knew he was listed on Southampton Cenotaph but I've failed to find out much more until joining this very helpful forum!

Liz