Reg East Lancashire Reg

Unit 6 BN Age 22 Died 20 .8 .1915

Service No 17090

Son of George James Byott & Eliza Byott

0f 55 Princess Sq Kennington London.

Commonwealth war Dead

Cemetary Alexandria Chatby

Military & war Memorial cemetary.

Can any one help where i would go to find out if he died of wounds in hospital. on in battle or info from red cross e.t.c , New at this Thank you sandra

Can any one help where i would go to find out if he died of wounds in hospital. on in battle or info from red cross e.t.c , New at this Thank you sandra

Sandra,

If you go to this forum’s mother site “The Long, Long Trail” you will find there some helpful advice under ‘Main site areas – How to research a soldier’

However even without access to his records it is almost certain that your man died in hospital in Egypt as a result of wounds/illness incurred whilst serving on Gallipoli.

The 6th Batt. The East Lancashire Regiment were at Helles from 6th to 31st July 1915 and suffered 12 casualties during that period. From 5th August they were in the Anzac sector and involved in very heavy fighting there, where they suffered huge casualties, being reduced to about 100 men by the 10th. It seems more than likely that your man was wounded at this time, then evacuated to hospital in Egypt, and died there.

[Details from Ray Westlake’s “British Regiments at Gallipoli”]

Best of luck with your research

Michael D.R.

From Soldiers Died:

17090 L/Cpl William John BYOTT

6th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment

Died of Wounds 20/08/1915

Gallipoli

Born: Kennington, Surrey

Enlisted: Southwark, Surrey

Residence: Kennington, Surrey

If he is buried in Alexandria I would be pretty sure he was evacuated to Egypt after being wounded in battle and died there.

Regards

Tim D

Hi Sandra

Havent got it with me, but have Westlakes British Regiments in Gallipoli. If the battalions diaries havent surfaced on firum by tommorow am, Ill mail the diary entries available for period August to Dec 1915. Wont be a mention of him personally, but it will show where his battalion were at the time.

I agree with Blackblue; if he died on Gallipoli, he'd have been buried there. And as many soldiers were never found, Id say dying in Alexandria Hospital is the favourite as it stands.

There were several 'actions' in Galipoli around 20th August, as the British were still trying to expand their beachead. Theres also another thread somewhere about this battalion. Will look it up and post a link here.

Steve

Hi Sandra

Havent got it with me, but have Westlakes British Regiments in Gallipoli. If the battalions diaries havent surfaced on firum by tommorow am, Ill mail the diary entries available for period August to Dec 1915. Wont be a mention of him personally, but it will show where his battalion were at the time.

I agree with Blackblue; if he died on Gallipoli, he'd have been buried there. And as many soldiers were never found, Id say dying in Alexandria Hospital is the favourite as it stands.

There were several 'actions' in Galipoli around 20th August, as the British were still trying to expand their beachead. Theres also another thread somewhere about this battalion. Will look it up and post a link here.

Steve

B) Hello steve.

Look forward to that Steve. Thanks so much it will shed alot of light.

Thanks sandra

Hey Sandra

Will type it onto a word doc tonight and mail it to you am if you mail / post / pm me your address? Otherwise, Ill attach it here.

Just to clarify, it may shed a bit of light, but wont mention him by name though.... :huh:

Until tommorrow ...

Steve :D

Hey Sandra

Will type it onto a word doc tonight and mail it to you am if you mail / post / pm me your address? Otherwise, Ill attach it Just to clarify, it may shed a bit of light, but wont mention uh:

Steve  :D

Hi steve,

Thank you so much. I live in Australia. So it would be better if you could send it by email. Thanks so very much for that. Cant beleive how helpfull every one is. Whats the weather like your side. I miss my England.

Thank you Sandra

From Westlake:

My guess would be that he was wounded on the 8th of 9th August and was then evacuated to Gallipoli. This would coincide with time for evacuation to Alexandria and his date of death. They were involved in a major attack on Chunuk Bair commencing at 6.00am on the 9th August and suffered severe casualties including the CO mortally wounded and the 2IC severely wounded. They were relieved at dusk. By the 10th August the 6th Battalions strength was only 100 men.

Regards

Tim D

Hi steve,

Thank you so much. I live in Australia. So it would be better if you could  send it by email. Thanks so very much for that. Cant beleive how helpfull every one is. Whats the weather like your side. I miss my England.

Thank you Sandra

The weather?!!!!? Oh, were having a scorching summer over here gal! Similar to your winter is at the moment Id say! Weve got the end of the American Hurrican I think; flash floods, rain and wind, and pretty damn wet here in Wales, even for Wales! Fancy a swap?????????? How long u been in Auss?

Ill look at your profile and see if your email address is there. If not, Ill pm you. As with everyone else on this forum, if I have even a little new info that you dont and it would help you, then youre welcome to it. Will mail the full doc to you anyway.

Cheers Sandra, & good luck to you

Steve :D

And Thanks Michaeldr!! Blushing profusely!!!!!!

Hi steve,

The weather?!!!!? Oh, were having a scorching summer over here gal! Similar to your winter is at the moment Id say! Weve got the end of the American Hurrican I think;!!!!!!

Hi again Steve,

Sorry your not having good weather ha ha. !! Its like a summers day today and its winter. Am i mean or what !!. Been over oz from England since about 1972. Lived in London Bromley Lewisham Reading e.t.c e.tc. family moved about abit. Then we made one big move here. Hope your weather gets better. Yes anything you find out would be really helpfull. On the east lancashire reg. Love to be over there looking through the archives. Well better be off. Im still getting used to this site. Most probobly post things in the wrong place.

Cheers sandra. thanks all for helping :lol:

From Soldiers Died:

17090 L/Cpl William John BYOTT

6th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment

Died of Wounds 20/08/1915

Gallipoli

If he is buried in Alexandria I would be pretty sure he was evacuated to Egypt after being wounded in battle and died there.

Hi Tim.

Thanks for the info. Yes i think your right. After reading around the forum. every one said the same. Thank you sandra B)