The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CEF Service Records

Chris_B

Apologies if this information is buried elsewhere on the forum, but could someone please tell me how a UK based individual goes about getting the service records of a family member who served in the CEF.

I have found the individual's "attestation papers" on-line and what I think might be the correct address to contact in Canada ( Genealogy Unit, Researcher Service Division, National Archive Archives of Canada, 395 Wellington St, Ottawa ON, KIA ON3)

But there is no mention of time scales for the response to such requests nor the fees that would be payable nor if any, or what kind of, proof of kinship is required.

Perhaps someone explain how the process works.

Thanks,

Chris.

Ordering Service Records

Hi Chris,

The service records are public records so you do not need to prove relation. The easiest way I've found is to fax the request with your credit card information. Make sure you have all the reference numbers mentioned on the attestation papers along with name and service number. Turnaround time is anywhere from 2 (fastest, once) to 5 weeks for delivery but I am in the US so naturally it would be a bit longer for UK delivery.

Fees are broken out on the above link, you are essentially only paying a photocopy fee.

Take care,

Neil

Neil,

Many thanks for the information which I'm following up right now.

Regards,

Chris.