The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Final Whistle: the Great War in Fifteen Players

rugbyremembers

With grateful thanks to the many forum-ites who have helped with info and advice, this book is now out through The History Press, and available on all the usual Brazilian rivers.

It tells fifteen stories (out of 85) Rosslyn Park rugby players killed in the war - and a fascinating bunch they are too. Between them they pretty much tell the whole story of the war in every service, arm and theatre/front.

It's also an unashamed love-song to the great game of rugby.

Stephen

post-49207-0-00991200-1352053388_thumb.j

I am reliably told that it has been sighted in bookshops in Sydney, but I'm guessing you've gone online. Much futher to drive only to find it's out of stock in Australia....

Hope you enjoy it and let me/forum know what you think.

Stephen

Well done, Stephen.

A fitting tribute to your sport, your club, and it's members who never came home. I'll obtain a copy as soon as I obtain a map of Brazil and it's rivers.

(Ollie would be proud of you :thumbsup: )

It is on my wish list for the 25th December. And it has triggered the thought that one day I must research the fallen of Moseley Rugby Club.

Roger

It is on my wish list for the 25th December. And it has triggered the thought that one day I must research the fallen of Moseley Rugby Club.

Roger

It's a very rewarding task and will reveal far more than you ever dreamed, as mine did. You will know that Moseley were rugby Olympians. Also my local club when I was a Brummie (was at KES).

Stephen

A fitting tribute to your sport, your club, and it's members who never came home.

(Ollie would be proud of you :thumbsup: )

It's a pleasure to make Mr Reed proud - if he is seeing this somehow!

I already have a copy and particularly enjoyed the chapter on Du Maurier. I've just availed myself of the free iPad version via the Telegraph promotion which runs out tomorrow....

Hoping that there will be a second volume featuring Lt Frank Dulcken Purser RNVR, a colleague of my grandfather who refers to his death in his letters. : )

I hope I do not transgress forum rules in promoting this but in order to help GWF members (!) there is indeed a free iTunes download available from the Telegraph (until today) as Charkles has identified.

Largely as a result of publicity in Times and Sunday Telegraph, the printed book has stocked out on Amazon, currently showing 1-3 weeks for delivery. But, as the BBC might say, other book retailers are available. Both Foyles and Waterstones have stock on and offline. A reprint is in rapid progress.

Hoping that there will be a second volume featuring Lt Frank Dulcken Purser RNVR, a colleague of my grandfather who refers to his death in his letters. : )

Charles, I too have a soft spot for Frank Purser as local boy and fellow alumnus and rugby player at my old college. He was a 'sizar' - fees reduced in return for work. I wonder if this concept may be revived in this age of student tuition fees. I also note that Trinity's XV team photo for his year attracted only 10 players - I am also familiar with the rigours of attending photo sessions after the previous night's rugby dinner...

As to a second book, they say never repeat yourself, although a '2nd XV' is tempting. That also may apply to the Second War casualties, although they do not share the same mystery of a lost memorial.

• 1 month later...

Roger,

I am tentatively embarking on a new project, very much Birmingham based, and coming across all those place names I just about recognise from 35 years ago. If I come across any Moseley players I will let you know.

What do you think of Santa's gift? (not wishing to hurry you, of course!)

HNY

Stephen

Roger,

I am tentatively embarking on a new project, very much Birmingham based, and coming across all those place names I just about recognise from 35 years ago. If I come across any Moseley players I will let you know.

What do you think of Santa's gift? (not wishing to hurry you, of course!)

HNY

Stephen

Stephen

I would be grateful for anything you find about Moseley players. With regard to Santa's gift, I have just finished Covenant With Death and I am about to start your book!

Roger

Stephen,

Just got your book today. Quickly read the chapter on Charles Button- will now have to visit the IWM to listen to the recording made in 1963 by Sidney Rogerson- other interesting sources used as well. Might have to visit the NA as well to look up officers service records.

Sadly, as far as rugby is concerned, my son visited the hospital today with his' healing ' broken finger will now have to miss Wharfedale RFC v Harrogate in the Under 16 Yorkshire cup semi final on sunday.

David

Ouch! Shame about the finger. Let's hope they win, so he has a chance of the final.

Had similar with son's broken collarbone 2 years ago- great cheerer-up was shirt signed by Northampton Saints team. Sent it and explained to Dylan Hartley- and back came shirt fully signed. Bless 'em. That's why I'm a rugby fan.

Button was one of the discoveries of the book. A late comer to the story, and unknown until very late in the writing process. Not only could he match/follow Harrison's VC, but his 'social history' was intriguing, and contrast to most of the others, AND I got to finish the 15 on a statue, just where I had started. A nice rondo.

Stephen

Enjoying the book.

Can't stand the game :)

Ah, I see you are a disciple of the breakaway Northern Union! We'll have to agree to differ...

But you'll find there's not so much Rugby Union as would spoil the read. I keep trying to tell people it's not 'about' rugby, it's just the glue that holds the story together.

Enoy the read and let me know what you think when finished.

best wishes

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen,

I've finished the book!

One of my interests is around how groups of pals or chums joined together to go to war, whether from the same town, as work mates or from a sports club so this was following a theme.

I enjoyed the different areas of the war the men contributed, in the air, on land or at sea and their pre-war activities.

Overall, I would recommend the book to anyone, even to those of us who don't like rugby union!

Great work on getting them recognised at the club.

Best wishes.

James,

Glad you enjoyed, even if it had two players too many for your liking (actually three, spot the deiberate cheat to get the Frenchman in).

What I found most remarkable is that this community was not defined by geography, as most Pals or district battalions (like the Woolwich/Blackheath Londons were), but by common love in rugby. As a result, they did not fight together and the array of contrasting stories across the whole war allowed me to paint 'the portrait in miniature' of the War in just 15 stories. Purists will say I have missed Palestine, Africa, Salonika, but hey...

By contrast, current project with a much higher statistical universe of 250+ names, has a tighter focus - although early days in the desk research.

Please feel free to recommend - always happy to be a missionary in a foreign land ;-)

PS James, if you wouldn't mind reviewing it on Amazon too - it helps support this site - and an RL man's view would fit well with some of the other reviews!

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen,

Will do, I'll let you know when it's done.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen,

As promised, my reviewis now on the Amazon website.

Apologies for the slight delay, silly things like work and the inclement weather have distracted me.

Look forward to your next venture.

Cheers.

James.

There, that wasn't too bad now, was it? Have visions of you only reading after dark, lest the visions of 15-man rugby sear your eyeballs in vampire style.

Seriously, thanks for the review, much appreciated. Next work may be 'about' cricket in much the same way as this was not really 'about' rugby. It requires a big event to happen and that is in the hands of others, so not for a while yet.

Ironically, I now find myself (in the dayjob) trying to fund a Parachute Regiment RL team to tour Australia in 2014. - they play RL largely because Army/Para required fitness levels would not allow for 20-stone prop forwards to play 15-man with scrums. So RL it is!

If you know any wealthy RL patrons with military sympathies, here or in Oz, let me know!

best wishes

Stephen

Stephen,

I did have to sit on the top deck of the bus !

I just skimmed over the parts where there was too much rugby union.

I'm delighted the Armed Forces recognise the benefits of the 'greatest game' the scandal of it taking so long to do so ranks with the Vichy government in France during WW2 and their seizure of the assets of the French RL - still not returned and the subject of a very interesting book called 'The Forbidden Game' by Mike Rylance.

Another book well worth a read !

I'll have a think about your efforts to raise funds for the Para's trip to Oz in 2014 - I assume you've approached the RFL and the clubs, they're usually pretty generous.

Cheers.