The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Final Whistle: the Great War in Fifteen Players

rugbyremembers

I have just finished reading this (a chapter at a time in between other reading, hence the time taken!). I have to agree that is an excellent read and anyone with an interest in WWI will get easily get stuck into it - do not be put off by the rugby angle, this is merely the thread which binds the individual stories together.

It is immaculately researched and as well as military history gives a valuable insight into the social history of the time. One very small quibble: I did not find it particularly easy on the eye. For me the font was a little small and I am used to a double space after full stops.

If you haven't read it yet, do so!

Roger

Roger, many thanks and glad you like it. It is the highest praise when it comes from this Forum, as everyone is so knowledegeable here. I am speaking at the Gallipoli Association Conf in B'ham June 1st if of interest.

Can I ask a favour and ask you to do a public Amazon review - it might also get the point across to my publisher about the font/leading. You are not the only person who has said it....

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen

Review done.

Roger

Many thanks indeed. New edition in standard paperback form due later this year so the font etc issue is valid. I will make sure they see it!

Just finished this and would like to pass on my congratulations on a very well-researched book covering a wide cross-section of combattants. I'm sure there is more material for a second volume! It struck me however that some of your subjects only played a few games for Rosslyn Park and were more notable for achievements in other sports like cricket or rowing. It did highlight however the fact that great sportsmen tend to make great soldiers.

I had a few quibbles about the historical aspect -- you definitely seem to lean to the 'butchers and bunglers' side -- and one or two flippancies jarred with me, but all in all a fine piece of work, IMHO.

cheers Martin B

Martin,

Many thanks. You are right on the occasional 'missing' rugby story. To be honest, it was partly pragmatic: they didn't play much rugby (but enough to qualify for the book) and partly to avoid perversity - to write about rugby for an Olympic rower and county cricketer would be perverse. in Fairbairn's case, his friendly rivalry with the Belgians would have undoubtedly motivated his immediate joining up. The only advice I got from a publisher (who passed on it because I was not a celebrity author/player) is that you potentially have 15 stories that are all the same - boy grows up, plays rugby, joins up, dies at Front- so I was conscious of adding variety. The rugby club common membershipprovided the spark for the story but I wanted a broader sweep of social history.

On the 'b&b'. I tried where possible to allow the soldiers to speak, rather than me. Guy du Maurier in particular was highly articulate and critical. He spoke as a career officer, not with the personal or political bile of a Liddell Hart or Lloyd George, or the grandstanding self-promoter Alan Clark. Having said that I do not entirely buy the 'learning curve' theory that sells books nowadays. If there was learning it was slowly applied - the lessons of Loos did not count for much at the Somme, although Rawlinson probably more directly at fault than Haig here. I can admire Monash or Maude, but reserve judgment on many others.

But as is probably clear from the book I am not a student of military strategy and wished to write about men and their lives.In particular, a genuine belief that the line officers ultimately sustained the war effort to victory, through a compassion and common humanity with their men. I find little of that in Haig, who despite his undoubted later achievement with the British Legion, could not even face visiting men in hospital.

There is of course much wonderful material for a 'Second XV' book but I feel that might be interesting for me alone, and it is unlikely I would be able to shape it as a second chronicle of the entire war told through 15/16 stories.

If you can spare the time, I would be delighted if you would review it publicly on Amazon.

best wishes Stephen

• 3 months later...

One very small quibble: I did not find it particularly easy on the eye. For me the font was a little small and I am used to a double space after full stops.

If you haven't read it yet, do so!

Roger

Roger, new edition, ironically in smaller but 'fatter' format, has the typesize issue addressed (I hope) As to the space after fullstops, I found as many as I could, but they insist that the type-setting software is right. Which is what happens when you let the machines take over.

Stephen

Forumites may be interested to hear that the book won the Rugby Book of Year at the Times British Sports Book of the Year Awards on 21st May.

It is an unusual place to find a Great War history, but since I have elsewhere described it as also a 'love song' to the great game of rugby, I can hardly be surprised - or disappointed.

It also meets the objective of bringing these men alive in the minds of more readers. If the only true death is to be forgotten, then some of these men now live again on the pages - lest we forget

It now goes forward to a public online vote for the overall Sports Book of Year http://bit.ly/14YZEe6

Stephen

I should also tell forumites of a new chance discovery. A scrapbook owned by a Club captain (who became CO of 4/Essex) who survived, arrived from his grandson.

In it is a document that appeals for subscriptions - due to the loss of members in the war! A list suggests another 20 names for the Roll of Honour.

Verification in progress: at least one name is clearly NOT the man on CWGC, as he would have to be 6 years old when captaining the club in 1902/3. It seems the Hon Sec was an 'unreliable witness', as understandably he can only act on information supplied and press reports spotted.

This new find would make the total Roll some 106 names long. The new names also reaveal the hazards of primary source research: when a minute book 'Grafton-Millar' turns out to be 'Grafton-Wignall', no wonder I did not find him on CWGC first time round!

Stephen

Roger, new edition, ironically in smaller but 'fatter' format, has the typesize issue addressed (I hope) As to the space after fullstops, I found as many as I could, but they insist that the type-setting software is right. Which is what happens when you let the machines take over.

Stephen

Good news. And I echo Kim's congratulations.

Roger

• 9 months later...

Members may wish to know that a new memorial plaque to those men of the club who died 1914-19 will be unveiled at Rosslyn Park.

This replaces the plaque mysteriously lost when the club moved from Richmond Old Deer Park to Roehampton in 1955/56.

It will carry 108 names which have been positively matched between club/other records and CWGC. This is considerably more than the 84 or so in the Roll of Honour in my book. Proof if ever needed that history is a work in progress.

The unveiling will be 29 March 2014 at 1130hrs

best wishes