The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German soldiers, Spandau

JulianB

OK last one (for now at least)

My grandfather probably did know these ones as he was sent to the hospita (lazarett) from his camp at Beeskow.

Can any of the German army experts out there tell me what sort of people these were (are they NCOs), do any records survive for soldiers of this type / date

J

post-1-1093366683.jpg

Hello Julian,

The photo caption indicates that one soldier is a Feldwebel (Company Sergeant-Major), another an Unteroffizier (Corporal), Sister Elizabeth and a Polish Medical Orderly/soldier.

The good news is that there may be a way to locate information on the hospital. All personnel rosters and card indices (Stammrollen und Karteimittel) of the Prussian Army, the transition army (Uebergangsheeres), and the Army (Reichswehr) were burned in an air raid on Berlin in February 1945. The records of the Imperial Navy (Kaiserlichen Marine) were also lost. Preserved are medical records of those soldiers who were being treated in military hospitals (Lazarett). The records, most with personnel roster extracts (Stammrollenauszuegen), are for those born from 1870 on, and are stored at:

Krankenbuchlager Berlin

Wattstrasse 11-13

D-13355 Berlin

Hopes this helps a bit,

Ralph

Ralph,

Thanks very much. I'm not sure whether you are suggesting the these people were also patients or guards at the Lazaret. Nevertheless, your post suggests that records of perhaps both may be in Berlin. I also have the name of another German soldier Michael Russworm, who may have been a guard at Beeskow - or even another patient somewhere.

Do PoW camp guards (& commandants etc) info survive !

Thanks

Julian

Hello Julian, The people in the photo were probably on staff at the hospital, definitely the sister and the Polish medical orderly. When patients were photographed they were generally not in uniform and with slings, bandages, etc.

I do not know if any records survive of the POW camps and staff, I doubt that they do. I have not come across any reference to these records during my research.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ralph

Guest Pete Wood

Were was the hospital located? I ask because the wall (and window) looks exactly like one of the old buildings at Spandau prison. I have some plans for the place - made in the 1980s, when I was part of the guard, in Berlin, for Rudolph Hess.

Any use...??

The key for the Spandau Prison is now in the museum (Perth) of the Black Watch, for anyone that's interested.

I don't think it is Spandau prison, as that was a military prison in WW1 and 2. I supect it is the British Military Hospital in Spandau that was pulled down in the sixties after the Army had handed it back to the Germans