The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Making of the First World War

Old Tom

I have just borrowed this from the local library, it was on a 'new issue' table. I though it might be a timely book on the origins of the war. However it merely seems to describe (I have not read it yet) some dozen aspects of the war, once it started. It is by Ian F W Beckett. I will give my opinion later.

Old Tom

It is proving not to be a disappointment. The author deals briefly with a selection of features of WW1 in, as far as I am concerned, in a slightly unusual way. So far I have read chapters on; the flooding of the northern end of the line, the Turkish entry into the war, ANZACs in Gallipoli and Lloyd George in Munitions. As an introduction to the war I think it would be rather disjointed, but as an invitation to think twice about some aspects of the war, first class. By the way is is quite new, published this year.

Old Tom

I have just complete a Stand To! review on this book. Herewith;

The Making of the First World War, Yale University Press, new Haven and London, £18.99263 pp, 12 ills, notes and refs, reading list, index. ISBN 978-0-300-16202 -8

Many publishers prefer only a scandal to anniversary when thinking of the bottom line. So prepare for a world of new books new and reprints - as the 100th anniversary of the Great War approaches. The first of these, already appearing on book shop shelves - herald the causes of the war - and there are five years more of reflections and analyses to follow 2014; and probably new scandals about the war yet to be contriced..

Whilst the title of Professor Ian Beckett’s The Making of the First World War, seems to reflect the starting trend the title is deeply misleading, for it is no revisitation, nor analysis, of the fumblingly tragic steps which led the great nations of the early 20th century to stumble into conflict. Indeed it is far more and it is impossible for any reviewer to improve on the late Richard Holmes analysis of the book:

“.. it offers genuine insight into the wider war, political and diplomatic as well as military. Written by an historian at the height of his powers, this

book will get readers to think outside the box…“

The author’s twelve essays dig deep into the events which, in very particular ways, had major contemporary, and frequently lasting, influence - not merely on the Great War itself but on future conflict, the fate of nations, their rulers and their people. Suitably the first evaluates the Belgian decision to open the sluices which flooded Flanders in 1914 and, as the author makes clear, halted the German coastal advance which would almost certainly led the small B.E.F., untutored in the kind of warfare which confronted them, to face its very own Dunkirk, and France almost inevitable defeat.

Turkey’s entry into the war and the complex political events which shaped its decision presages a chapter on the myths and realities of Australia’s “coming of age” at, and after Gallipoli. Other chapters range the rackety state of inept Austro-Hungarian politics, military abilities and Franz Joseph, a figure distanced from realities by age and belief, to Lloyd George, and torpedo warfare. The author’s analysis of the making of the film The Battle of the Somme, an unintended watershed in the creation and effects of propaganda is a particularly fascinating chapter.

This is far more than a tick box narrative. The abdication of the Czar, the Balfour declaration, Woodrow Wilson’s fourteen points, unrestricted submarine warfare and ill fated German Lys offensive in April 19i8 are all scrutinized; objectives, effects and influence evaluated with skill and deep knowledge of events and personalities involved. Throughout, Beckett’s analyses are wide ranging and fascinating. Particularly compelling is the his ability to provide concise pen portraits of the major protagonists in the events he describes and analyses in English untainted by lack of clarity or ambiguity.

Important? Certainly. It would be impossible to over praise The Making of the First World War.

Landed on my pile for review for the National Army Museum. First glance I am very impressed (I have several other volumes to do first!).

Yes I will; have just finished the chapter/essay on the evolution of the Balfour Declaration which was excellent.

Old Tom