The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MM - 3/Worcesters

Guest scott leader

Guest scott leader

Guys

Can anybody help. I would think so!!

I have an MM 1914 Bar Trio - Sgt 3/Worchester's his MM was in the London Gazette on the 21 October 1916, I think it would have been for around middle - late August, can anyone help with the battalion's actions around this date?

Scott

Hi Scott

The 3rd Worcesters were on the Somme in August/September 1916; they fought several actions collectively known as the Battles of Pozieres Ridge. The last action they took part in before October was an attack in front of Thiepval on the night of 2nd/3rd September; in an area known as the Leipzig Salient.

They entered the German trenches fairly easily, but were caught in a heavy bombardment put down by the enemy. Both Company Commanders involved were killed, and then the CO, Colonel Gibbs. The Adjutant took command and reorganised the defence. However the position was untenable and the troops retired.

The Battalion was then relieved and didn't do anything else until October, which would be a bit late for your chap's MM.

The information is from the excellent regimental history by Stacke. I would recommend getting a look at a copy as I would say it was pretty likely that your man got his MM for bravery between mid-August and early September.

Paul