The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trench Map Merville Area

Ferguson73uk

As part of my ongoing research into my Great Uncle, a 2/Lt in the 2/8th Worcs., I've narrowed his service down to the trenches in front of Merville, (west of Armentieres) from April to August 1918. I have the 'Worcs. Regt. in the Great War' by Stacke map, but I'd really like a trench map showing the British and/or German lines in more detail. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jonathan

He was in 2/8th Worcestershire regiment 182nd brigade 61st Division in 1918? what kind of informations did you want ?

Laurent.

Hi Laurent,

I'd like to view an original trench map to see the trench lines of both sides in more detail. I intend to go to the area again soon and would like to be able to locate the exact ground.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

I have an map of this area dated some time in 1918, I have only just got back from a few days away, so I need to do a few jobs before I try and find the map and scan it. E-mail if I have not done this by 1st Sept., as I have bad memory :(

Annette

I think i could find this map, my second house is at St Venant, i know very well this battlefield in April 1918.

1st map: sector of 182nd brigade near Robecq april 1918. Men of 61st division arrived at berguette town via railway (11 and 12 april). They joined by walk Robecq and St Floris sector...

post-2-1093719440.jpg

Fascinating fact #342.

My hairdresser is called Merville, as was his Dad. This is because his Grandfather was wounded near Merville in 1918. True!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pjwainwright

Hi,

I'm a newcomer here, found the site via Google, researching my Uncle as part of researching my family history. My mother's brother was (I think!) 34429 Private John Douglas Nutman, of 2nd/4th Ox and Bucks Light Infantry (odd coincidence - I served rather more recently in the Rifle Brigade, later 3RGJ, a sister regiment). He was killed we think at Merville on 31 August 1918 and is buried at Aval Wood, Vieux-Berquin.

Would there be any accounts of the action on that day? It must have been fairly late in the course of events, judging by other records.

Any thoughts greatfully welcomed.

Paul