The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Units and Formations

SMG65

I have some information and some war diary notes on this unit, which was a Garrison Battalion with 46 companies. Does anyone else have an interest in this battalion and is willing to swap information?

I would be interested. From what I have now, 43rd Bn formed with 46 garrison companies, but ended the war with 1 - 14 and 45 and 46. I know that part of the battalions separated September 1918 to form 44th Bn which was purely an AA Bn, but I am not sure about it. What information are you seeking, so I hope we can swap.

Wienand

Wienand

I am assuming that you are taking your information about 43 Bn, RF finishing the war with companies 1-14 and 45, 46 from the Order of Battle on 11/11/18. It is a misprint and should say 1-44, 45,46. companies 10-44 were Lines of Communication Troops. I also have copies of the War Diaries for 39, 40. 41, 42 and 43 companies from Sept 1918 onwards and for some up to July 1919. If you require more details then please get back.

SEAN

Sean,

You are correct about the 11/11/1918 OOB, I seen now that the entry in the index is wrong. It is corrected by know.

What I am interested in is to hear what part of 43rd Bn became 44th Bn. According to Frederick's lineage book, the AA component of 43rd Bn became 44th Bn. If you can tell me more about this, and how 43rd Bn was organized prior to formation of 44th Bn, I will be very grateful.

Wienand

Wienand

Sorry to be late in replying but I have been away for a few days.

I will see if I have any info on 44 Bn, I believe I may have a small amount.

Give me a couple of days and I will get back to you.

SEAN[

Sean

I, too, am interested in 43 RF. I gather that it was originally formed from Garrison Guard coys in May 1918 to provide guards for Army HQs. Clearly one bn HQ could not administer the vast number of coys it spawned and so presumably they were merely lumped under the 43 RF umbrella for the convenience of the Record Offices in that the men could be given numbers from the same batch.

As for your query on 989 Area Employment Coy, Ivor Lee is certain to have the answer.

Charles M

To Wienand, Chris and Charles

Please find below details from the war diaries of 43 Bn RF.

The diaries contain numerous names of serving soldiers, from Private to Captain, (though mostly Privates) - a researcher or family historians dream (or nightmare). The names are mentioned for being posted in and out of their companies and where they have come from or where they are going to, but they are mainly mentioned for their misdemeanours and their punishments.

As for the companies formation the diaries state:

40 Garrison Company

5/9/18 - Rouen - 'Company divided into Anti Aircraft Sections and 40 Garr Coy, 43 Garr Batt Roy Fusiliers. Nominal Rolls submitted, 967 A E (Garr Gd) Coy Labour Corps ceases to exist.'

41 Garrison Company

1.9.18 - Rouen - 'Alteration in designation of Coy No 906 Area Employment Garrison Guard Coy now named No 41 Garrison Coy, 43rd Royal Fusiliers.'

42 Garrison Company

1.9.18 - Rouen - 'The 933 Garrison Guard Coy is now called the 42 Garrison Company 43 Battalion Royal Fusiliers'

2.9.18 - '7 Ptes transferred from 958 (A.E.G.G. Coy) 43 Garrison Coy 43 Battn RF for duty with this unit'

43 Garrison Company

1.9.18 - Rouen - 'Change of designation of company to 43 Coy 43rd Garr Btn Royal Fusiliers'

(From 42 Company War Diary entry this company was 958 Coy)

Frustratingly 39 Garrison Company, also based at Rouen does not mention it's change of designation. I am hoping this is 989 A E Company.

Hope the above helps

SEAN

Sean,

Many thanks for the details. Next step is to trace all the AEGG companies...

Wienand