The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

PoW Camp Wahn

egbert

With respect to this PoW Wahn link as discussed earlier here on forum, I entered Wahn AFB today and took the following pics. In a very remote corner of the modern AFB there are still the remnants of the old PoW camp, used today by carpenter/blacksmith etc services

Thanks Egbert for a look back in history.

Perhaps you could clear up one thing for me.Where does the historical site stand in relation to the Cologne /Bonn civil airport, ie the Conrad Adenauer Airport?.

I understand that the former wartime Luftwaffe airfield became RAF Wahn of the RAF Second Tactical Air Force.Is the present Luftwaffe base tagged on to the civil airport?

Regarding British Great War dead of the former POW camp.Where were the dead transferred to in 1922?.Cologne South springs to mind.

Regards

Frank East

Frank,

the AFB area is -compared to the size of the airport - only a small portion; located SW of civilian AP facilities; when I am back in the States with access to my computer I can send you a map file. With respect to the Brit burials from PoW camp: as you have seen I posted some pics of PoW cemetery; did you see them?. I checked all graves: no Brits to no avail. I also suggest they had been relocated after the war in the 20s to possibly Cologne South

• 3 weeks later...

Elbert,

Thanks for your prompt reply,I could not as we have just returned home from nearly 3 weeks in France.

I have just been able to look at the information released by the CWGC regarding Cologne South military cemetery. From the 1922 agreement with the Germany state, 1,623 Allied war graves from 183 cemeteries were concentrated at Cologne South.Of the principal ones referred to,Wahn is not mentioned as a former resting place for POWs who died in captivity but nevertheless may be one of the 183.

Bonn (Popplesdorf) Cemetery is mentioned as being the place of 134 British dead all of which died in 1919 and were later concentrated at Cologne South.

Regards

Frank East