The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Veterans at the PRO Today

ianw

Pleased to advise that having business in the area , I was able to pop into the PRO and confirm that the chaps put in a very smart turnout. I gave a Bakers Pals cheer. The Prince of Wales came in by helicopter a bit late and waved vaguely in the direction of us plebs - just like his mother.

I also spotted the McGann brother who played "The Monocled Mutineer" swanning around in a very luvvy manner. No doubt "Smiler" enjoyed the attention as always. I do hope they all get home without problems. God Bless 'em !

Much telly and many journo's in attendance , one of whom quizzed me about "Smiler".

Hi Ian,

Just wondering if the article that was in today Daily Mail, page 34, was the event you have mentioned at the PRO?

Wherever this final reunion of the WW1 Veterans' Association took place, I wish I could of been there!! What questions I would like to ask them!! Even though George Conrad Leonard says that all ever anyone wants to talk to him about is WW1, despite his interesting life at 104!! 'Smiler' lives upto his name in the photo too!

Alie.

I noticed in the Daily Mail article that one of them (haven't got it with me ,so don't know which one) said that he had to pay 2 guineas for the priveledge of serving on the Western Front.

Does anyone know what he was referring to?

Dave.