The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

33rd Siege Battery

wellsms

Hi,

The goalkeeper in the photo below is 218773 Gnr Anthony Bullock. I'm pretty sure the year on the board is 1918.

I've only just discovered his service number and MIC is not online. Have checked mother site for 33rd Siege Battery but that section is Work In Progress.

As I don't yet know when he enlisted any info of what they were up to in 1918 would be appreciated.

The card is stamped Lucien Hacquar(?) AMIENS, so they were in France

Any info gratefully received

thanks in advance

Mike

post-2-1093464265.jpg

33rd Siege Battery gets a mention in Farndale's "History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery Western Front 1914-1918" for the Battle of St Quentin 21-23/03/18.

"It was not only the field artillery that was hotly engaged. 33rd Siege battery RGA came under such heavy machine gun and rifle fire that it suffered 75% casualties. The section commander, himself acting as Number 1 and layer, gathered the few remaining fit men around 'A' sub-section and maintained direct fire with this 8-inch howitzer for two hours. Another gun was brought into action and this section fought hard until, by 1700 hours on 22nd March, it had fired the remarkable total of 3,000 rounds; 300 tons of ammunition in 36 hours. With German infantry only 500 yards away, two caterpillar tractors managed to get the two battle-scarred guns away from their positions, standing alone in front of the British line. That night they were in action again. Such courage must never be forgotten."

Richard

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Given the way these things are normally understated, it must have been hell.

Thanks again.

Mike