Date of Death: 25/08/1914

Service No: 7163

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 16.

Cemetery: LANDRECIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

& the cemetery details

Cemetery: LANDRECIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Locality: Nord

Location Information: Landrecies is a small town in the Department of the Nord, approximately 40 kilometres south-south-east of Valenciennes. The Communal Cemetery is east of the town on the road to Maroilles, the Faubourg de France (D959). The cemetery contains Commonwealth graves from both World Wars, the majority of which can be found in the War Graves Plot. There are also eight isolated plots.

Historical Information: Landrecies was the scene of rear-guard fighting on 25 August 1914, after the Battle of Mons, and from that date it remained in German hands until it was captured by the 25th Division on 4 November 1918. The communal cemetery was largely used by German troops for the burial of their own dead and their prisoners. After the Armistice the German graves were removed, leaving three groups of Commonwealth graves in the cemetery. Landrecies Communal Cemetery contains 56 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 11 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to two casualties known to be buried among them. The cemetery also contains eight Second World War burials, most of them airmen, and one French war grave.

No. of Identified Casualties: 54

Frank Lethbridge.................One of the first of many British lads who fell in the service of their country...............Raising a glass to him & all those others from every nation who gave their lives

Pte Frank Lethbridge is one of the local soldiers that I am researching. I am privileged to know his niece who lives in my home town, and is my local 'Great War' friend.

Frank was the batman to the Hon Archer Windsor-Clive who was a son of Viscount Plymouth. As far as I have been able to work out, the 3rd Coldstream Guards reached Landrecies in the late afternoon of 25 Aug 1914, and were sent out to defend the town's NW approaches upon news of a mass of German soldiers advancing towards them. The tussle with the oncoming enemy went to and fro along the main street into Landrecies for the duration of the evening. Sometime between about 7 and 8 o'clock, the Hon Archer-Clive and his servant, Frank Lethbridge were killed by the same shell. They are buried only a few yards apart in Landrecies Communal Cemetery.

There is an entry for Lethbridge in De Ruvigny's RoH - see the posting relating to Pte. Peacock, Coldstream Gds. in this section.

Rgds

Ed