The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

One Newfoundland Soldier's Story

Terry

Some time ago I was able to obtain a memorial plaque to ISAAC JOHN SNELGROVE, a young member of the 1st Bn., Royal Newfoundland Regiment. As I have never been able to find a medal group to this unit, I was pleased to pick this up as a bargain price ($60, or 25 pounds).

Snelgrove died in the UK on 18 Nov.,1918, a week after hostilities ended. I wondered - could he have died of wounds; of illness; had he been hit by a car?

This morning I received his file through the good offices of Arnie Kay.

Isaac Snelgrove enlisted in the Newfoundland Regiment on 17 Feb.,1915. He embarked on the SS Stephane for the UK, and eventually joined the battalion in the field on 8 April, 1916. One can therefore assume that he was with the unit for the horrors of the 1 July,1916 attack, although he was not wounded. He is listed on the nominal roll written on 4 July, so he either survived the slaughter (266 dead, 446 wounded, 89% casualties) or possibly had been one of the lucky ones LOB (left out of battle).

The battalion fought again at Transloy Ridges (7-20 Oct.,1916), losing 239 men; and the first battle of the Scarpe (9-14 April,1917), 457 casualties. Snelgrove must have taken part in these actions. However, on 5 July, he was admitted to 88 Fd.Amb. with back abcesses. Obviously the medics spotted more problems, as he was quickly invalided to England. The diagnosis was tuberculosis.

For the next sixteen months, Isaac Snelgrove's condition gradually deteriorated. He was moved to a couple of different hospitals, and by Sept.,1918 his condition was listed as critically ill. He passed away at 4:15pm on 18 November.

Snelgrove's late father had requested that the firing party consist of his fellow countrymen, so the OC of the 2nd Bn.,Royal Newfoundland Regt., at Winchester, provided a firing party, buglers, and bearers. The funeral took place at Brookwood Cemetary on 26 November. The file lists the officiating clergyman (Capt.Hedges), and even records the donors of the eight wreaths, including poignantly, three from the "Boys of the Albert Ward, St.Thomas Hospital". Isaac Snelgrove was twenty two years old.

Obviously if the war and victory medals of 1140 Private I.J.Snelgrove, Royal Newfoundland Regiment, ever surface at auction, I will be an enthusiastic bidder.

I always enjoy seeing a long dead soldier having some of the details of his life be rediscovered. It kind of breathes life back into their memory and makes them more than just a name on a plaque or medal.

Thanks for posting this Terry.