The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli - The Ottoman Campaign by EJ Erickson

gilly100

Hi All

I now have a copy of this book and was wondering what others think of it. I have perused parts of it and have found it well written and very interesting. Nice to see perspective from the winning side! Would be particularly interested in what others think, especially those who have also written (or still are writing!) on Gallipoli in some form or other.

Cheers

Ian Gill

Bali

Ian, Erikson's books are always worth getting. His analyses of the Ottoman army are very informative. The book on the Balkan Wars and the lead up to WW1 is especially interesting. I didn't know that the Ottoman army had conducted a wartime amphibious landing on Gallipoli - well just north actually but hey.

Robert

In the English language it has very little competition and so it is no doubt the best book on the Ottoman side in the campaign. Nevertheless, Erickson has to be complemented on the high standard of his research which is very thorough indeed

His American writing style is a little jarring to English ears – e.g. I kid you not, at first I was quite puzzled by his use of the word 'organic' as in 'Each infantry division had an organic medical company.....' see p.195. I now realise however that it translates as 'integral'

His OoB given in Appendices B-D pages 207 to 227 is comprehensive and includes the names of the various commanding officers.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that this book is essential reading.

regards

Michael

Does he use Turkish archival sources?

Does he use Turkish archival sources?

Yes He does. He was stationed in Turkey, and had extensive access to them. Its a good book and worth reading.

Chris

Yes He does. He was stationed in Turkey, and had extensive access to them. Its a good book and worth reading.

Chris

Nice. I just finished reading Robin Prior's book on Gallipoli which left me aching for some more info on the Ottoman side. I'll definately have to pick this one up.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I read several articles and books of "Ed" Erickson and recently contacted him via mail. He certainly is one of the best informed english speaking historians who is writing about the Ottoman Army. However, his view on the Gallipoli campaign seems to be a little baised in favour of the Turkish side. I spoke with Turkish General Staff officers and even some of them don't like his uncritical attitude. I guess it is worth to come into a intellectual discussion with him.

He had and may still have access to the military dominated archives and is almost only using the "white series" which was published by the Turkish General Staff.

I spoke with Turkish General Staff officers and even some of them don't like his uncritical attitude.

Thanks Klaus. That's a fascinating insight