The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Error on PoW database

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

There is an entry on the PoW database for a man who I looked at today which maybe needs altering, - it isnt a transcription error but a mistake in the original WO161/101 index >

Purcell, William, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Rifles; report, pp 1914-15 (TNA ref WO161/99)

This man wasnt RI Rifles, he was 10753 in the 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regiment .... clearly stated in his interview report and I've checked his medal records and confirmed that as correct.

He was, by the way, "Wishy-Washy" according to Lt Shannon of the 10th Skins who interviewed him, and rather disinclined to discuss any detail of German recruiting for the "Irish Brigade" (hardly surprising !).

regards - Tom

Tom

Thanks for that. Do we correct the entry in our database ? I think so, given that we will possibly hand this over to the NA soon. This is a clear cut case of incorrect indexing.

What does everyone think ?

Mick

Mick - I would think its quite clear that the database should be "corrected", though you may want to put something like "indexed Royal Irish Rifles, but actually Royal Irish Regiment" (if that's not too long-winded).

I was speaking to Alan Bowgen (TNA) yesterday and they still seem to be in a state of confusion over the whole WO161 issue. He mentioned the database as a partial solution but they seem not to have moved forward with any ideas for making the digitalised (PDF) form of the documents usable. It seems to be universally agreed that the "computer boffins" who are driving this digitalisation process never actually have to try to use the records themselves.

regards - Tom

He was, by the way, "Wishy-Washy" according to Lt Shannon of the 10th Skins who interviewed him, and rather disinclined to discuss any detail of German recruiting for the "Irish Brigade" (hardly surprising !).

regards - Tom

Tom

Irish Brigade? this is new to me, can you point me to any reading materials? (online would be good)

thanks

chris

Irish Brigade?

Chris - go to Google and put in something like >

roger casement irish brigade

> that will bring up loads of references (incl, if you go far enough, my own website, - but I only mention them in passing).

Record class WO161 contains many references to Casement's efforts to recruit Irish Pow's, but the repatriated Irish soldiers are understandably guarded in their statements ............... but then they are hardly likely to have said yep, good old Casement; great idea, lets go kill some Englishmen (and Jocks, Welsh, and other Irishmen, come to that).

regards - Tom

thanks Tom

much appreciated